Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How long to wait after spay surgery to groom

10 days? a month? how long after spay surgery is it safe to schedule a grooming for a standard poodle?

as soon as the stitches are out

I'd say at least 2 wks. If they have stitches that need to be removed vs. the dissolvable ones, I'd say wait til after they're taken out.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.
    [url]www.LittleShopOfHowlers.com[/url]

At the SPCA I volunteer at, they groom the dog right after surgery. Nails, ears, bath, HV drying and basic trim if needed.

Doesn't seen to bother them as they are still groogy most the time. If it was me, I wouldn't groom until at good two weeks to be on the same side. JMO.

Minou

The reason not to groom while a dog still has stitches is the sutures make it much easier for bacteria to enter the body. Having an infection, even minor around a suture would hinder healing of the incision.

I tell people I will happily make their appointment for after the sutures are removed. If disolvable, I ask that they wait 2 weeks and if still there, request their vet remove them or give them a release form stating that it is the vet that approved grooming with the sutures still in. I WONT set myself up to get hit with a vet bill for a suture area infection.

Until the Vet says ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussheplady View Post
    The reason not to groom while a dog still has stitches is the sutures make it much easier for bacteria to enter the body. Having an infection, even minor around a suture would hinder healing of the incision.

I tell people I will happily make their appointment for after the sutures are removed. If disolvable, I ask that they wait 2 weeks and if still there, request their vet remove them or give them a release form stating that it is the vet that approved grooming with the sutures still in. I WONT set myself up to get hit with a vet bill for a suture area infection.
    Agree 100%!!!!

When I was a Vet Tech we always told people to wait 10 days after suture removal before bathing. So that's what I tell my clients

Most of the vets in our area say 10 days. But we always tell people to get the ok from the vet.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

From my own perspective, having been under the knife myself on several occasions, putting a dog through a full groom immediately after abdominal surgery is just short of barbaric. I don't care if they don't seem to mind, or if they're still groggy from the anesthesia, it hurts. A lot. Even after a simple laperoscopy, I wouldn't have wanted anyone moving me around like that, making me stand, lift this, lift that. I was nauseous, too. I didn't even want to get up to pee. It would have been very unpleasant. I don't care if the vet says ok or not, I'm not putting a dog through that type of discomfort. I wait at least 10 days.

And concerns about infection aside, I'd be more worried about internal bleeding. I know when I worked at the clinic we autopsied a couple of bitches that had been spayed and their internal sutures (uterine stump) came untied, causing them to bleed out.

After stitches are removed. In the past with my pets it has been somewhere from 10 - 14 days. If they aren't ready, the vet will wait to remove the stitches.

At my grooming school, I worked on a dog that been neutered and was pending adoption. The dog was badly matted and we had a very difficult time with him. Understandably, he was in pain and the whole grooming process was very traumatic. I don't understand why the shelter that brought him in didn't have him groomed prior to the operation. Considering his condition, the poor baby was pretty good for the bath and strip but would not tolerate anymore brushing out of mats around his face. We had to give him back to the shelter in that condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast