Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default hair spray or hair gel for dogs?

Hey Guys;
    I was wondering if theres a good hairspray or hair gel out there for dogs, or can we use the human kind?

i have a can of grand finale,but i only use it a few times

I have used Dove Gel on some of my fluffies w/whispy coats to give them some texture. I also have mousse from Davis that is for dogs, but I haven't noticed that it works very well. The Dove has no alcohol and is not very strongly scented, that is why I choose it.

I would be leery of hairspray, just because I would hate to irritate their eyes w/it. The effects of the eye protectant
    has probabaly worn off by the end of the groom (I assume, I could be wrong about this). That's just my take, I am curious to hear others responses.
    SheilaB from SC

Pet Silk makes a "topknot" gel keeps those topknots in place a little goes a long way. They also have some other products too.

Most people hairspray is what we use on dogs. Chris Christensen does make a hairspray for dogs as well as a whole line of dog styling products. Hairspray is only a temporary fix for the day and can attract dirt so I never use those products on pets. Show dogs get the hairspray washed out daily or when they get home from the weekend. Because it is very damaging to their hair. Top knot gel is ok but I like to use Velus Satin Cream on my top knots it is actually a hair protectant.

I use just a TINY (I mean, minute) amount of Suave Gel to set the parts on Yorkies, Maltese, Shih Tzu.... I'm talking just a 1/4" drop on my finger tips, and they can't shake the part out. A tube will last several years.

Yep, Granny glue (any human hair spray) or...now I like to use Chris Christenson Thick and Thicker...it goes on like granny glue, but once dry is soft and comb-able. It builds in volume, too, and is On label for dogs...if you have issues with that.

Do I use gels and sprays?...you bet, on breeds that need a stand up look (like the varmity look for a Westie head) or a very soft topknot that just needs a little umph to be able to scissor...that's part of my job!

Your hair dresser uses all kinds of stuff, so why shouldn't we! After all, the clients are paying me the bucks to make their dog look better than if they did it at home...it's my job to know what to use and get the result they can't.
    www.pamsbubblemobile.com
    Last edited by azoci; 09-14-07 at 08:06 PM.

Smile

Thanks for all the feedback.
    I was mainly curious if I could use some human products on our puppies. Its kind of neat to see what a "minute" of hair gel can do. I'm sure I'll see great results, thanks y'all a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by azoci View Post
    Do I use gels and sprays?...you bet, on breeds that need a stand up look (like the varmity look for a Westie head) or a very soft topknot that just needs a little umph to be able to scissor...that's part of my job!
    Do you do that on most of your grooms? So do all your Westies come out looking "varmity" [by the way I love that description--it fits perfectly]? I hate the feel of product in my own hair, do any of your customer comment on the feel?

bow_wow_wheels Guest

The *only* problem I can see with using people products on dogs is the product liabiltiy issue. IF you are using people products on your own personal dogs I don't see an issue-who are you going to sue if there's a problem? Yourself? Not hardly likely but I can see some bight spark suing the company for off-label use... Clients, on the other hand, expect us to use pet products on their pets and that is why I do just that; I have enough in my life that keeps me busy to worry about getting sued

I really like the Chris Christensen Thick-n-Thicker line. You have three products to choose from and all three, when used in conjunction with each other, produce a coat that stands like nobody's business LOL!! The thing is that you MUST use the AfterBath with the T-n-T VRFO (Volumn Response Foaming Protien) or you have an uncombable mess on your hands that is a real pain to deal with.

Big Grin

Along the same lines, what product works better in the different breeds do you think?

Default Hair spray

I use hair spray on Shnauzer eyebrows by spraying it on my fingers and then applying it to set the brow. therefore not spraying it near the eyes. I think Melissa Verplank in "Theory of 5" mentions adding hair spray or gel while the coat is still wet and then setting it with warm air from a dryer. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds good and I will try it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast