Confused Hope we did the right thing because I have learned to confirm style changes

This is one of those strange third party situations. The customer is out of town for 2 weeks and the neighbor is taking care of the dogs. We prescheduled their holiday grooms some time ago. When the neighbor arrived with the dogs we didn't know they would be gone. Turns out it was an emergency and they are South America for a family emergency. So far she cannot reach them but one time by cellphone. So no problem until she said she said take them short, she wants them short. Well we have never done anything but bathed them and furminate. She says no she wants them really short. I thought twice and again and said I am not clipping the coat down without talking with their owner. She was anxious, I finally said we are going to do the regular groom and if that was wrong, we will do the pets over again no charge. I was pretty confident it was her misunderstanding.

Yes,you did the right thing.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

For what it is worth.....I think you did the right thing.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Big thumbs up. Who hasn't learned the lesson when someone else brings in someone else dogs without notice or written notes, don't make any changes.

Yeah, if anybody other than the owner brings dogs in and asks for a radically different haircut, and owner never mentioned it, and cannot be reached...no, the dog gets the usual.
    And I like how you said you will do regular groom, and if it turned out owners did want shorter cut, you will redo at no charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OR the caretaker doesn't like the shedding and wanted them short.
    Good call on your part.

Since the trip was for an emergency, the owners were likely feeling rushed and the neighbor was applied to with little notice. So easy for the neighbor to misunderstand. Thinking anyone would be less annoyed to find their dogs clean and in good shape than clipped down short if that isn't their style. It's hard when people are so sure they know what they are talking about.

Yes always confirm perfect reminder. I am sure newbie lurkers here learned a lot reading this. You cannot go wrong confirming things even if the customer gets impatient. I think it is a pro move.

We have trained our groomers to ask to call whenever in question. We deal with as many housekeepers and assistants as owners, so unless the owner tells us or confirms a change, its not happeneing!

Yes, good call. That's why I keep notes on every groom. If I had this situation and looked at my notes and it's a B and B dog, you bet I would not clip it down unless I got verbal approval from the owner. We have husbands and wives who give us conflicting instructions depending who drops off. It's a real pain sometimes figuring it out. I ultimately go by my own best professional judgement on what's best and what will make *most* clients happy.

Well done, better safe than sorry.