Default Opinions on Head & Shoulders Shampoo for yeasty dog?

Still lurking and learning, even though I'm just grooming my own dogs now. I have a 3 year old LH dachsie that has chronic yeast issues. I've tried the diet change - raw, filtered water to drink, fish oil and coconut supplements, weekly baths, etc., but I'm still ending up with periodic yeast outbreaks. I've had him completely health tested including ALL the thyroid tests and he's fine. I've tried numerous anti-fungal shampoos that will work for a short time, and then not. I looked back in the files and some people recommended either Head and Shoulders Shampoo or Selsun Blue. I'm very tempted to try this. I've never had a dog with allergies and this developed about 2 years ago after he tested positive for asymptomatic Lymes. And the yeast is usually just on his legs and scrotum. We just had all the old carpeting replaced with vinyl in the house, so I'm hoping this will help, too. He's not outside on grass, only gravel. I won't give him Apoquel or Cytopoint (too many cancer diagnosis with those meds.)

Any opinions? Will these human shampoos be safe for him? And which one is best?

What about his bedding and the laundry detergent you use? Of those 2 shampoos, I would use the selsun blue. Used that on one of my cockers years ago with allergies at my vet's recommendation. Just gave some temporary relief for her. Chlorahexidine shampoo might help-had a yeasty client and that's what their vet gave them.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

You want the SELENIUM SULFIDE ingredient. that blue bottle stuff I am lost for brand name. Leave it on 10 minutes. They put out TWO products, make sure it is the SELENIUM SULFIDE one, works greatly better and I cleared it with my vet. I remember selsun blue, but get this formula for sure. It is not a cure but drastically gives relief. Diet plays a part, STRESS plays a part, so you may be using for awhile but it definitely helps. But use that skin lotion DAILY that I read about here. Skin rescue lotion I get at Amazon, OMG works great, not a cure but daily between baths and give it 2 weeks minimum. But gives immediate relief too but must put a light layer daily for some time to see amazing results.

Some years back I went to a seminar at a grooming show with a dog dermatologist and she said that Head and Shoulders was fine for yeasty dogs. I know that blue one that Teena is talking about... oh I think it's Nizoral.

The other thing you might want to try is Revolution for fleas. Sometimes mange disguises as yeast. I had a severely allergic dog and I'm pretty sure he was just nothing but mange.

We tried everything.. but this was before Revolution. I'd do a few months of Revolution along with everything else.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I find the selsun is best. Chlorhex stuff nope. I don't like the risks of continued use of it. My dentist even opened up and said he only uses in worst situations, it has lots of side effects.

I did some google and you are right about selsun blue. My grandson is a track guy award winning and says he has to watch "jock itch" from excessive hot sweaty long distance runs. Oh boy, but he said the best for it was selsun blue with selenium. There you go. He said all the guys use a soap with similar ingredient and some work some don't. Point is not all antifungals work for everyone. And get this, I didn't know this. Can apply to dogs too. If you use a body powder, or you powder say the wrinkles the a bulldog, if the powder is made of corn, cornstarch, guess what. Corn actually feeds the fungal problem. You need a powder not made of a food source. Brilliant. That bulldog could get worse!