Goofy Frozen generator case.

I talked with another mobiler here today. She said her trailer has an exterior generator in a case. If the air is moist and when it gets cold the case lid freezes shut and she has a heck of a time getting it open. She can park it inside at night but if it is a cold day it freezes shut anyway. Anyone know of this?

My barn door does this and so does my gate lock. Barn door gets a pry bar applied to it, gate lock gets hot water poured on it. As for genny case, I would use hot water or a warm blow dryer. But yes,everything will freeze shut if it is cold enough......fact!
    Last edited by Cyn; 12-07-18 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Corrected auto correct
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Oh yes my old trailer would do that. Sometimes with a light touch and a screw driver (I put a towel around the tip area to prevent scratching) I could lightly pry it open, but not in a hard freeze. Parking indoors help overnight so you start with easy access but will freeze during the day sometimes.

You are not alone! In Western WA when there are no clouds this time of year, it gets cold like 20's or lower. Recently at 5am the power went out, it also came back and off, THIRTEEN TIMES in 2 hours. We have an automatic generator that comes on when the power goes off. It got tested well 13 times. I went out to say enough is enough until they fix the power. So I went out to turn the generator system off so it wouldn't come on. Guess what, the LID was frozen shut in 19 degree weather. I thought maybe we locked it, and of course, key is missing. I built a small housing to keep the whole generator dry, no rain, but enough moist air got into the insulation of the generator case lid. Absolutely I was used a padded crowbar and lightly went around it finally popped open. So even preventing the case from getting wet which is a good idea in those times is not perfect from preventing the lid to freeze up.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

I asked around and no one seems to have a solution.