Default What are your policies on late arrivals /no shows?

How late is too late?
    What do you do in regards to no shows? Do you ring them after x amount of time, still do the dog the same day, or do you rearrange the pet for another day?

Im trying to work out some new policies in prep for my new job... When I can groom again. I don't want to be inflexible or too strict, but don't want to be walked over either

I have all my dogs come in first thing in the morning. Between 9-10am. If they havenít shown up by 10:15 I call and give them until 11:00am. If they donít make it they will need to reschedule.
    This is one of the advantages of having all the dogs show up in the morning. I know right away if someone will be Late or a No Show. It gives me the ability to know I can book another dog into that spot or just have a more leisurely day.

What groomers do that have their dogs show throughout the day, I donít know. They will chime in!

Some of my clients are Always Late. Over time I just know this about them. No big deal. As long as we have an ďunderstandingĒ
    Iím fine with that.

If they are a No Show 3 times then they need to make a non-refundable payment in order to get an appointment. The payment is full Groom price. Iíve had some that will do that but most just move on to another shop and No Show there too I would think. I donít have time for constant No Shows.

Thanks dogma

This is majorly annoying when you work alone. When I worked alone 20 minutes in and late I usually rescheduled but it was all based on the next demands of the next groom. I tell you having even just one bather assist made this all the easier and not such an issue. But we sure didn't make it seem it was OK with the late ones.

I work alone and am Home-based. I have a 15 minute overlap in my schedule(which they don't know about)if they are more than 15 min late I have them reschedule because it makes me late for the next dog. Everyone has emergencies at times but some people are chronically late and you will find out who they are quickly. I don't reward them be getting them in soon.....I make them book at least another 2 weeks out and they learn fast that they can't do me that way. I have had customers who didn't show twice in a row and I won't do them anymore! This is a lack of consideration for my time. You can't get away with this at your hairdresser!!! I rarely have a no show or late customer anymore because I have weeded out the problem people.

The sad thing is that when you "fire" a client, you are actually hurting the poor dog, not the owner (because they could care less about the appointment time). We are all in business to make money, so I would continue to accept the late arrival and do the doggie at the end of the day. Maybe charge a $5 late fee ??(make sure this rule is announced upon arrival). Usually in "start up" business's, groomers are not too busy to accept a late arrival.

Good Luck on your new business !!

Happy grooming the late arrivals at midnight

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    The sad thing is that when you "fire" a client, you are actually hurting the poor dog, not the owner (because they could care less about the appointment time). We are all in business to make money, so I would continue to accept the late arrival and do the doggie at the end of the day. Maybe charge a $5 late fee ??(make sure this rule is announced upon arrival). Usually in "start up" business's, groomers are not too busy to accept a late arrival.

Good Luck on your new business !!

Happy grooming the late arrivals at midnight

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    Dolly, I disagree. Groomers usually have life beyond salon, and most will not be happy "grooming at midnight." I prefer customers who respect my time, because if they don't, I can fill their spot with the ones that do.

Marsh, to answer your question, I work by appointment, one-on-one, and require them to be on time. In most cases I can accommodate 15 minutes late, and I will call when they are 5-7 minutes late. If they can't make it by 15 minutes, they have to reschedule and that usually means waiting 4weeks. 95% of my customers understand and appreciate it. Those who do not, have to find another groomer, there are plenty around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel it really depends on the client.
    I make sure everyone knows the policy.
    I give a " let it slide" for first time or legit reason ( car accident/death etc) and with my long time customers. But honestly their reaction is what decides it for me, if they are apologetic and offer to pay for the missed groom I'm more leinient and we often say " I appreciate that your aware of my schedule, the fee is for those that don't seem to be aware or respectful of my time"
    I have waved it up to 2 times on my long time regulars that just forgot. I only charge a $25 on full $65 groom.
    But back then I had a standing waiting list in would pull off of and only lose a bit of time,

For people who you can tell are not respectful of your time I be would be more strict.
    My policy is on all of my appointment cards and is said in person to any new customers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We get bothered but it doesn't make us have some employee sitting around. We can do 25 plus a day most of the time. We can have them late up to one hour most of the time, We do mention it and if it happens again I take the customer aside and do let them know there will be a $20 fee after 20 minutes late unless they have called in and explained why ahead of the appointment time.

We have a late fee but after 30 minutes they also have to realize reschedule might be possible, and if we can groom that day it may require a late return. You cannot delay others because of a late customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    How late is too late?
    What do you do in regards to no shows? Do you ring them after x amount of time, still do the dog the same day, or do you rearrange the pet for another day?

Im trying to work out some new policies in prep for my new job... When I can groom again. I don't want to be inflexible or too strict, but don't want to be walked over either
    If it happens twice, walk the plank.