Default Seizure Questions

Dear little Felix, my miniature poodle, has seizures (not during grooming, although I fear it's just a matter of time). Blah. We have the meds for if he cycles, which he sometimes does, and thankfully so far they work. He seems to have about one a month, no rhyme nor reason as to when or why. We never know when they are coming. But he does. And he desperately tries to be with us. Yesterday he went upstairs to my daughter and made it onto her bed, then almost immediately began seizing. Other times he has come stumbling and trembling to find me in the other room.
    For those of you with seizure dogs, has this been your experience? Have you been able to predict when they will happen?

Yes, we can tell when my little Sami is getting ready to have a seizure. She makes sure she is close to us and itís clear she isnít feeling well. Sometimes there isnít much warning (5 minutes) and other times we are waiting a few hours and know a seizure is coming. Which meds is Felix on? Paws crossed he continues to do well.

Iíve had my dogs on meds if they have seizures. The meds are cheap and work well. They will be on them the rest of their life. Iíd rather do that then have them seizure. While some folks report that their dogs are lethargic on the meds that has never been my experience. They are just my normal happy dogs without the seizures.

Good luck.

My chihuahua mix is on phenobarbitol. $35 a month, so no more seizures. There is a risk of damage to the body though, due to the meds, so vet takes blood every 6 months.

Yes there are Emma. For my dogs I think of it this way. Iíd rather have them die a year or two early then have them go through a life time of seizures.
    So they might die at 12 years rather then 14 years. For me, I think the trade off is worth it.

I haven't had a lot of issues with seizures, but years ago one of our dogs had intermittent seizures - found it that he had a bad molar that was causing problems - after it was removed, there were no more issues. Also - low blood sugar can cause issues too. Sometimes feeding the dog 3 times a day, versus once or twice can help.

I've had 2 dogs over the years with seizures-cockers. One was on meds, and the other had them so infrequently that she wasn't. Min poodles do seem to have a genetic component for epilepsy. The meds my cocker was on was a human medication. I think it was called Milepsin. The vet said he didn't like to put them on meds unless they had more than 2 seizures a month. I used to put a big 'S' on the calendar when she seized. She would still have the odd one, but very few. She was a little groggy at first on the meds, but we adjusted the dosage and she was fine. Yes, she would usually try to get to me. Low thyroid can also cause seizures, as can a brain tumor-one of my last dogs had that.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Thank you all for your responses!
    My vet also does not want to put Felix on fulltime meds for once month seizures, so we have diazepam for if he clusters. I also use it if he has one that is longer than 10 minutes or is 'stronger' than usual.
    Son was keeping a gsd for a friend. Dog began having frequent, violent seizures. He too is on phenobarbital, but appears to have suffered some brain damage that has affected his personality as well as his behavior. It was like starting all over again with a puppy in a full grown body.
    I know my vet did some bloodwork initially to look for causes for the seizures, but I don't know what was checked. Armed with the suggestions here I can ask more intelligent questions.
    That trying to get to me thing really breaks my heart, especially knowing they could happen when I am not here to comfort him.
    Feeding three times a day is certainly a simple thing to try-thanks for the suggestion. Cinder the lab thanks you twice, cuz she thinks that would mean more food instead of less at a time! Lol