Thread: Panting cat

Default Panting cat

One of my monthly kitties panted during grooming. She has never done it before. It was very noticeable. The first time, I stopped and gave her a break. The 2nd time I stopped grooming her entirely. She is not fat or old. I told her human about it, and asked her to find out is the kitty has a heart murmur. Before I groom her again, I want the veterinarian's opinion. The kitty doesn't like being groomed, but her coat is so thick that she gets matted fast, so she needs it. I was alarmed because her mouth wasn't just open, she looked more distressed than that. She sees the vet this week.

Well... I'm sure you read my post on (or maybe not) the corneal ulcer. I've taken a cat in a midnight if something has seemed off... so I'm probably not the best one to answer. But I do not like panting in a cat at all! If this were one of my cats, we'd be at the vet!! Respiratory distress of some sort and many reasons. I agree, she needs a vet check up and like I said, if this were my cat it would be sooner rather than later. Like I'd have been there already. Cats just don't pant like dogs and you were beyond smart to stop the grooming.

Hope this is something minor.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I’ve had several of my cat clients pant... it just means they’re stressed which is normal. Means they need a break to calm down

“Panting can be a normal response in cats that are overheated, stressed and anxious, or after strenuous exercise,” says Dr. Elizabeth Cottrell, DVM, a veterinarian at the Cat Hospital at Towson in Maryland. “It should resolve once the cat has a chance to cool down and rest.” Petmd.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stress was my first thought, good post Chris. Probably not even you Emma but something else in her environment.

The kitty was checked out by the vet. Supposed to be fine. I still don't know why a cat who has never panted in years would do it. Yoi're right, it could be the environment. There are lots of other cats and dogs in the home. Maybe they are bullying her

Yes panting is a sign of stress. Drooling is the danger sign.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Yes, for sure. I thought she might have a health problem because over the years, she's become my little buddy, so grooming should be less stressful for her, not more. She has such thick fur that drying does take a long time. I keep the blow-dryer's heat on low, but even then, maybe it gets to be too warm in the kitchen.