Thread: Payment delays

Default Payment delays

I do house call grooming. Surprisingly, I almost never have payment problems, but I do have one now.
    I accept cash, check or Venmo. I do not accept credit cards because of the fees.

First client - gets a discount for booking every 4 weeks, but during last 2 visits, doesn't pay at end of service. Says she is waiting on a check and will pay that night through the app Venmo. Doesn't pay. I send a payment request through the app. No response. She did pay after a day or two, but I am not getting apologies from her, so it seems she thinks this is normal and it will continue if I don't stop it.
    Second client - I am already making exceptions for her, as I usually charge a large fee to go outside my travel area. She doesn't pay at the end of the service, so I send a Venmo request. She responds late at night, asking her assistant to pay it. Last time, it took 2 requests and 2 days. Meanwhile, she is buying a luxury car, sigh.
    So, yes, I let them get away with it the first time, and now they are getting worse. My bad.
    I do want to let them save face, as I like them even if they are hustling me (hustlers have to hustle, it's their nature), so what are some ways to lay down the law while allowing them to feel that their are not losing face? I think if I lay down the law in the right way, I can keep their business and get paid on time.

With the year ending, now is a great time to put new policies into effect. I would tell your clients that starting at the first of the year, you will be requiring payment upon service. No exceptions. Period. Their plumber, electrician, etc. doesn't let them stall on payment. Why should you? I think the wealthy folks feel they can do as they please, and, because you are coming into their home, they may look at you more as a guest who just happens to care for their pets than as a business. They feel like they are in charge.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

You know for dang sure they don't wait for payment in their business or jobs. The heck with allowing them to save face. Call them down. Strict policy.

I agree with Kurt and Karla. Just tell them politely it your business policy. I bet their hairstylist wouldn't do this either. If they want to pre-schedule so many weeks ahead advise them you will call the week before or whatever time you see and see if they will have payment ready. The cost of taking cards with something like Square is not that bad and most businesses look at having to take time to manage customers like this means the cost of Square is offset by always getting payment at the time services are delivered. I believe you were working with budgets lately and planning increases in prices in that other thread. In your operating expense budget just budget the cost of Square over the year and include it in your fee raises for the future.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

I like the idea of sending texts or emails saying you have a new policy, thanks for.. I don't want to say "respecting" that? Thanks for your continued business?

Sadly, it is this way in the construction business with contractors being the worst about not paying!!

Oh you could put it on your website and the next time they book tell them you have implemented a new policy that payment is due upon completion of services. Or you could put that new policy into effect first of January. I also think you need to charge extra for non-payment upon completion of the groom. Venmo is so easy as is PayPal. You could do Square and add the fees into your grooms. Give them a discount for paying by cash, cc, or Venmo.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Well...........I'm looking at the other side of the coin.

I have a couple of clients who always ask me to hold their check until a certain date. They have either medical costs, waiting for their SS check, or some other reason. I just attach the check to my refrigerator and wait for the date to deposit the check. Sometimes I don't get the check/payment at time of service. I just tell them to mail it to me. So far, I've not been cheated, or have missed a meal due to their tardiness in payment. I remember on a couple of occasions, that the check was presented to me and I immediately voided it due to a horrible experience that the client was going thru (husb died the day before......husb had a heart attack that week....... a spouse going into Hospice) My compassion ruled over getting a check from these grieving clients.

In response to why electricians and plumbers don't have to wait for payment......well.......my clients have a closer relationship with me and can ask me to hold a payment due to a personal reason.

Happing finding out why $$ is delayed

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Thank you. I decided to stop accepting Venmo. I had no problems with this before Venmo. Venmo has too much of a casual, friends vibe, I think. The clients who have been using it responsibly will get to keep paying with Venmo though.
    I will start accepting credit cards.
    I am dropping one of the clients, as she is in a hard to reach location anyway.

Like Dolly I have to hold a check now and then. Some of my clients really live on the edge with a fixed income and my schedule does not always accommodate their pay day schedule. I honestly don't know why they use me vs someone who can fit them in when it's good for them and is much cheaper, but I just go with what they want.

As for your clients? I'm guessing very wealthy and this is the way they pay everything. Not realizing that you're counting on that money to pay your bills. But regardless payment in due at time of service, so suggestions here are spot on.

Yes, even people who seem well off can be very short of money. You never know. I do applaud their effort to kedp their cats groomed, even if they are messing up on how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    Like Dolly I have to hold a check now and then. Some of my clients really live on the edge with a fixed income and my schedule does not always accommodate their pay day schedule. I honestly don't know why they use me vs someone who can fit them in when it's good for them and is much cheaper, but I just go with what they want.

As for your clients? I'm guessing very wealthy and this is the way they pay everything. Not realizing that you're counting on that money to pay your bills. But regardless payment in due at time of service, so suggestions here are spot on.
    ^^^^^Exactly this^^^^^
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

The first two clients did pay me. One of them gave me a tip too, which I appreciate.
    Yesterday, a client left the home before I was done. I texted her and she said she would Venmo in an hour or two. Next morning, still no payment. I texted her to suggest Paypal or leaving cash with the concierge. She said she would, but nope, nothing there. I do have to mention that she has a collection of 100 pairs of designer shoes, yes, an entire wall of shoes. I was feeling worn out by the slow payers this week, so I told her that she could have the grooming session as a gift, but that I was never coming back. She called and texted 4 times, saying she would pay. Still no payment.
    The planets must be aligned in a way that signals money craziness, because this past week has been very unusual!