Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Great thoughts I am all for safety certification of all groomers. No letting anyone call themselves a groomer overnight. I don't care how much chaos it causes, that must go. Consider what is going on in California. No more independent contractor groomers or many other trades according to recent laws, now that is big chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    I got my Masters Cerification with IPG in the early 1980’s.
    This has been the debate ever since. The Grooming Certification groups stated time and time again that we, as an industry, should be making rules and standards for our industry. Because we know it best.
    They said over and over again, if we don’t do it then law makers that know nothing about our industry will make those rules for us. Groomers screamed bloody murder about all the reasons they were NOT going to get tested or join a groomers association.

And here we are. Law makers making laws for an industry they know nothing about.

We had our chance. Now we have to play catch-up

I believe in having a better control over our industry. Schools that teach you to “groom” in 4 weeks. Pleeease!
    I’ll stop there.....
    So true but most schools cannot find students to go much more than that. What a predicament. The ones that do usually have to offer financial aid and that is very few. They don't allow schools to offer financial until they have been in business some years successfully and it costs a lot to get the accreditation, not making it easy.

And that’s not an excuse. If all schools were a year or two, and you wanted to be a groomer, you would go to school. Just like if you want to be a hair dresser. This is how long the industry says it takes to learn this craft, this is how long it takes to achieve that, and this is how much it costs. If you want to be a hair dresser you pay that amount and you go for the length of time it takes. Take it or leave it.

If you want to be a doctor or a vet tech or a nurse or a teacher, this is how long the course is, this is how much it costs.

Because we don’t value our profession people think “oh my! $2000.00 to be a groomer?!? I’m not paying that!!!”
    And on-line courses spring up and 4 week courses spring up and they tell the student they are now “certified” with no understanding what that really means in our industry. (That there Are certification programs that you test under an impartial party of experts in our industry. It’s not just a piece of paper that says your “Certified “ when in fact all it really means is that your check cleared”

When we as an industry take more pride and demand more respect then other things will fall into place.

I don’t know if this is still true, but years ago, Shirley Kalstone told me that in Japan the grooming program is two years long. You are practically a vet tech by the time you graduate. We could have that much pride in our industry too.

It comes down to the law classifying pets as property. Abuse and neglect doesn't carry the same weight legally. I know where I'm at pet loss is limited to x amount in value. There's no pain and suffering claim from an owner.

Hairdressers are working on people and also use chemicals on your scalp. It's a much higher standard of safety and sanitation. Not to say pets dont deserve the same protection. Grooming skill is the least of it. It should be about pet safety only. Who's to say that groom is better or worse. Too many factors like coat condition, pet behavior, personal choice on what blade length to use, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It is complicated Tom it has to get around to safety. Because if you neglect safety that is the key problem. Most pets that die it was either groomer abuse or neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by violet2 View Post
    It is complicated Tom it has to get around to safety. Because if you neglect safety that is the key problem. Most pets that die it was either groomer abuse or neglect.
    Not true. Most if the 45 pets at petsmart were either cause never determined or ore existing conditions. The internal reports said several causes were never disclosed to them and some dogs were never even customers of theirs.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    Not true. Most if the 45 pets at petsmart were either cause never determined or ore existing conditions. The internal reports said several causes were never disclosed to them and some dogs were never even customers of theirs.
    Why are you so focused on 45 pets at PetSmart. Thousands of dogs have died over the last few decades?

Many pets die in groomer's care that have nothing to do with abuse or neglect. I had a Pom die in a kennel before grooming, Collapsed trach and suffocated. I didn't hear or see anything until we went to get him out for his bath. Nothing I could have done the vet said. There are thousands of pets getting groomed each day who are days or hours away from passing, the groom may be the last "trigger" event that ends it for them. Lots of owners have no idea their pet has terminal illness or is very old cause they adopted without knowing the age. How can we groomers licensed or not be held accountable for something out of our control. I'm all for safety licensing, but it will not reduce pet injury and death in salons by any noticeable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by violet2 View Post
    Why are you so focused on 45 pets at PetSmart. Thousands of dogs have died over the last few decades?
    The article that is circulating widely from NJ is where ghe focus came from. Also. If you take fhat report and extrapolate data then tge same would be said of all stire featgs in probably the same percentages. I have had digs die in ny shlp. NIT INE was abuse, neglect ir accident except for one tge owner dropped on her head. The itgers? Liver failure while boarding. Respiratory failure due to an enlarged heart. Heart faikure due to steroid usage. Not. One. Was anything I could have predicted.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I am an old time groomer and also had a very elderly special care pet died. I had already informed the vet a few months before that we would use extra care, hand dry, no HV, maintenance groom to simplify the styling and dry faster. She passed quietly in her cage about 2 years later. No problems with the client and you know that vet sent me lots of business and never had to even think I wonder if it was the groomer. I recommend more groomers to reach out to the vets to let them know I consider this a special care pet and this is what that means.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2