https://www.readingeagle.com/money/a...ns-in-kenhorst

Kristy's Pet Palace has clients ranging from cats to police dogs.

WRITTEN BY KAREN L. CHANDLER
KENHORST, PA —
A new pet groomer who cares for animals ranging from canine police officers to cats, opened on July 27 in Kenhorst.

Owner Kristy Natole said she brought more than 100 dog and cat grooming clients from an 11-year career in local pet salons to the new business, and has already gained 50 new customers since opening her own shop, Kristy's Pet Palace.

"A stress-free environment is the number one thing I'm trying to bring them," she said.

Natole adds that a pet owner who stays with a groomer long-term allows a pet to develop a bond with its groomer, further reducing stress during grooming.

Other philosophies that set apart Kristy's Pet Palace, according to Natole, are her preference to keep dogs out of crates who come to her for service and her commitment to hand drying them after bathing.

Some groomers crate wet dogs and mount blow dryers on the crates, a practice that causes anxiety in the animals, she said.

"I schedule them so my attention is on that dog," Natole said. "I do one-on-one. That dog is with me from the minute it comes to the minute it leaves."

Loyal customers
Spring Township Police Officer Eric Goss and other area officers with canine partners were happy to hear that Natole opened her shop, Goss said.

He said, "one of the first things she did was letting us know she's in business."

Goss entrusts his canine partner, Dzeus, a 10-year-old Belgian Malinois, to Natole's care during his regular grooming sessions, explaining that his dog is not only his partner but his best four-legged friend.

"It's a relief and a comfort for a pet owner," Goss said, of having a groomer he trusts with his dog.

Natole has been state-certified since 2010 to groom dogs and was certified to groom cats in 2014.

"In Pennsylvania you don't need a certification, but I wanted to have that piece of paper," she said.

Former locksmith shop
Moving into an 850 square-foot space, previously occupied by Clem's Lock & Key Service, at a convenient location on New Holland Road was a no-brainer for Natole.

"I saw this for rent in the middle of July and came right away," she said.

Renovations were necessary before opening the shop. Natole painted, installed new flooring and pet-related décor. More important to her pet clients, she added a professional 52-inch stainless steel washing tub with a ramp to help dogs access it easily.

Natole also invested in a large electric grooming table.

"If a dog comes in that can't get up on the table, it lowers to three inches off the floor," she said.

While a full grooming service for a dog or cat includes bathing, cutting and trimming nails, brushing teeth and a haircut if necessary, Natole's favorite service is de-shedding dogs with a big double coat such as shepherds, collies and golden retrievers.

"I bathe them in a de-shed shampoo," she said. "When you blow them out, it looks like it's snowing. It's a big difference."

The de-shed service is popular during the change of seasons, according to Natole, and helps reduce allergens in pet owners' homes.

When Natole is not busy building her base with new pet clients and caring for her long-term patrons, she is providing free grooming services for pets up for adoption through Catworks Adoptables.

"They need to get all cleaned up so they can get a good home," she said.

Despite what could have been a traumatic dog bite in her past, Natole is passionate to care for even the most difficult dogs and cats.

She said, "I got bitten in the face by a dog when I was 2 years old, but this is where I want to be.".....................