Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shock Cat My fat cat must lose weight!!!

Yes..... I have one of those. She's a foodie and won't quit eating. The other problem is I have a sick cat that I need to leave food out for. But I'm really beside myself over how fat Elsa has become. So.. I bought some diet cat food.

Now.. how do I go about this? Ugh.. I sound and feel stupid. I leave dry food out for the sick cats.. but I lost my one sick cat first of Sept so that leaves one and she's not long for this world.. but in the meantime I am giving her fluids and syringing meds.

So... should I offer dry food 3 times a day and offer Fatty Fat Fat the diet dry? Then pick it up after say 20 min? Honestly I swear there is something wrong with her brain. I've never had a cat not regulate itself.

I give wet at night and got diet food for Fatty Fat Fat.

A friend suggested I isolate the fat one and I thought.. uh no??

Treadmill? Ha.. teasing on that one.

I'm all ears on this one so any suggestions would be good.

Thanks!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I can't help with how to feed but maybe a little of the why.

Cats (and any other creature that can put weight on) only lay down fat cells in the growth fase. They cannot lay down any more after that and you cannot loose fat cells. fat cells can get fatter, or they can shrink and get smaller, but they never actually loose the cells unless you physically remove them via liposuction.

Is the kitty that needs a diet neutered?

The reason I ask is because nuetered cats dietary requirements change drastically after 48 hours. They go from needing 100% of their pre nuetered calorie requirements down to about 75% post neutering, but they want about 50% more.
    By putting her a a satiety diet it makes her feel fuller for longer. Even though the kibble is bigger and the feeding volume is larger, the calorie in take is lower. (had a life stage dietary lunch and learn a couple weeks back and I hope I've explained this well enough)

That's a tough one. Are there any places the chubby kitty can not reach, but your other kitty can reach?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    I can't help with how to feed but maybe a little of the why.

Cats (and any other creature that can put weight on) only lay down fat cells in the growth fase. They cannot lay down any more after that and you cannot loose fat cells. fat cells can get fatter, or they can shrink and get smaller, but they never actually loose the cells unless you physically remove them via liposuction.

Is the kitty that needs a diet neutered?

The reason I ask is because nuetered cats dietary requirements change drastically after 48 hours. They go from needing 100% of their pre nuetered calorie requirements down to about 75% post neutering, but they want about 50% more.
    By putting her a a satiety diet it makes her feel fuller for longer. Even though the kibble is bigger and the feeding volume is larger, the calorie in take is lower. (had a life stage dietary lunch and learn a couple weeks back and I hope I've explained this well enough)
    Yes.. she's spayed. She's my first out of about 6 cats though that cannot stop eating lol. Yes, I understood what you said.it Cats that are intact burn a lot of calories so to speak just maintaining hormones, etc. But this one... something's off with her brain, I swear. It's like her food switch is on all the time. One time my son was watching her and I came back from my trip and her food bowl was empty so I said something to my son and he said.. "I filled it this morning." Hmmm. So.. she needs liposuction. I'll look into a satiety diet. I put out the diet dry and she liked it. Wasn't crazy about the diet canned lol.
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    That's a tough one. Are there any places the chubby kitty can not reach, but your other kitty can reach?
    She can barely get under the doggy gate in the kitchen.. so I thought I would partially shut a door in the back room but she managed to squeeze herself in there lol. I'm thinking about this, hard.

And thanks.. it is hard when you have 1 or 2 that are sick and need the food. Fat wise, she'd do better as an only cat, but she and my oldest sick cat are best friends now. That took a while and now I have no idea how long her new bff will be here. I have another cat lined up to get in January.

What I need is a box that she can't get in but the other 2 can to eat. She reminds me of this children's story I read once about a fat bird that was soooo fat he couldn't fly south for the winter so he walked and lost his weight. Only this girl isn't walking very far.
    Debbie

Personally I'd stop free feeding, and get everyone on a feeding schedule. Maybe twice per day for chubby girl, and however many you feel would be beat for the sick kitty (3or more?). This is what worked with my elderly pom anyways, and after a supervised 10 minutes I'd pick up the leftover so no other animals got her food. Try again at next feeding time and she'd sometimes be more likely to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni89 View Post
    Personally I'd stop free feeding, and get everyone on a feeding schedule. Maybe twice per day for chubby girl, and however many you feel would be beat for the sick kitty (3or more?). This is what worked with my elderly pom anyways, and after a supervised 10 minutes I'd pick up the leftover so no other animals got her food. Try again at next feeding time and she'd sometimes be more likely to eat.
    I'm all for not free feeding. I just walked back and saw Fatty Fat Fat at the food bowl. And not to make excuses but the sick cats have thrown me. No, this cat has thrown me lol! Maybe I should look this up. Either that or look for us on My Big Fat Pet lol.
    Debbie

Put the sick kitty's food up high where Fat cat can't get. Feed sick cat this way several times a day.....wait til she is done and pick it up. Top of the fridge comes to mind.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Put the sick kitty's food up high where Fat cat can't get. Feed sick cat this way several times a day.....wait til she is done and pick it up. Top of the fridge comes to mind.
    I'm coming up with excuses lol... sick kitty can't/won't get up anywhere high, but Fatty Fat Fat CAN. My fridge is built in and the highest place in my house is a counter which isn't a deterrent for Elsa Fatty Fat Fat. I'm going to get some feeders that are pricey, but work with their microchips. This way the sick one cat eat whenever she wants, the normal weight one can also eat whenever she wants and Fatty Fat Fat is limited to what's in her bowl.

Milla, my red normalish cat vomits raw, even if I make it. I know she carries the gene for liver shunt disease and in fact produced one kitten that died at 6 mo... so she and her entire line were spayed/neutered. My breeder thinks she was fed lamb as a kitten and said that in her experience, kittens fed lamb early have a hard time with raw. I don't know.. but wonder if it is connected to the liver shunt gene. I could feed Elsa raw and can do that with these feeders. But these feeders will solve my problem... I think.
    Debbie

Daesue you make me laugh You admitted coming up with excuses, lol, hard to admit that
    Let us know how the new feeders work.....this could come in handy.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Daesue you make me laugh You admitted coming up with excuses, lol, hard to admit that
    Let us know how the new feeders work.....this could come in handy.
    LOL! My poor old girl, she'd need a ladder to get up to the food. Anyway, apparently these feeders can be programmed to work with 30 cats?? So.. if I ever get THAT many cats and am NOT a breeder, I'm sure my family will put me in some sort of hospital lololol. They are like $130 a pop. I figure I would need 2. One for Fatty FF and one for the others. My cats have never worn collars, so I like the idea of them working with microchips. But even at that price.. it's going to be healthier in the long run for Elsa. It's either that or put a harness on her and take her for a long walk.

What I find funny is how many people comment on how fat my cat is, in kind of a disgusting way lol.. I always come back with.. "Well aren't we showing our prejudice against fatty fat fats??" But she really does need to lose some weight. Seeing her sqqqqquuuueeeze under the kitchen doggy gate was like.. "Uhhhh...yeah.. diet camp for you!" But it's a tough one when you have several cats and one needs to lose weight or be on a special diet.
    Debbie

Funny but this reminded of a me movie. Can you just imagine fat cat saying you think I cannot climb or reach and go into Wil E Coyote act like wearing a helium balloon to float up to it. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast