Confused Cat Talked with my New Jersey groomer friends

Yikes they are stressed about the new licensing or whatever you want to call it. They are ever more critical of superstores as if it is their problem. You know pets were in danger at groomers before all of this. If it is mainly a safety certification to me that is good. All I can say is they are freakin, I thought, omg why did I call them?

Well I think it's because nothing is very clear on what exactly we will be required to do. The bill as written mentions a written test, a practical test, an unknown amount of continuing education required yearly, and business registration (which includes proof of insurance of an unknown amount and submitting incident reports for ANY injury or incident). The wording is very broad and it leaves a lot of things in the hands of a board that hasn't been created yet. Also, the current bill's language does NOT include any kind of grandfather clause for existing groomers. Not to say there couldn't be one added by the to-be-created board, but it's a lot of up in the air. And finally, the bill says we all need to be licensed within one year of the bill becoming a law - which leaves one year to create and establish a board, have them create testing materials, testing sites, determine proctors, cont. education, etc. and over 6000 groomers taking the exams in order for all of us to be compliant. Not to mention, the bill doesn't distinguish someone as a bather, assistant, etc. versus a full groomer. ANY bathing, brushing, clipping, etc. must be done by someone licensed and any business that performs those services as a business service (i.e. charging for them, advertising for them, etc.) must also be registered with the board as well.

Fear of the unknown is making people nuts. I think the "hair on fire" reactions to the bill are nuts. I don't think it's as bad as tgey think and I know there's more to the bill coming that negates a lot of the problems.
    That said. I tried to tell people in August that something was up. I was told not happening. If people had been more proactive...

There is nothing wrong with licensing. There is something wrong with panicking.

I get messages from people daily saying that they don't understand why others are panicked. I don't either.

A major sticking point is the lack of an acceptance of prior certification in leiu of testing but PIJAC is working on it and meetings are being held.

There's also a new paper published by the budget office of the Senate saying that it is not clear enough to score costwise. That's good for the groomers and the bill overall may be rejected as a result.

It's a time to be proactive not panicky.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I can understand why they would be nervous. Anything the government does is likely to be heavily influenced by lobbyists. Who can resist a "free" trip to Jamaica? If the licensing is created under guidance of pet industry lobbyists, it may be formulated so as to make the mobile, house call and home-based, into unlicensable businesses.
    Example . . .
    In NYC, the city requires pet care workers to take a health course. Well, a friend of mine who has a house call business took the course, as she likes to educated herself and comply with regulations. The instructor told her house call grooming is illegal in NYC. She panicked. See, what happens is that for licensing or certification, you can require inspections of premises. For those who don't have "premises", they become unlicensable, which means they are operating outside the regulations. That makes them vulnerable to fees. They might be highly trained groomers who are super-clean -- it won't matter. They are not able to be licensed, so they are illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    I can understand why they would be nervous. Anything the government does is likely to be heavily influenced by lobbyists. Who can resist a "free" trip to Jamaica? If the licensing is created under guidance of pet industry lobbyists, it may be formulated so as to make the mobile, house call and home-based, into unlicensable businesses.
    Example . . .
    In NYC, the city requires pet care workers to take a health course. Well, a friend of mine who has a house call business took the course, as she likes to educated herself and comply with regulations. The instructor told her house call grooming is illegal in NYC. She panicked. See, what happens is that for licensing or certification, you can require inspections of premises. For those who don't have "premises", they become unlicensable, which means they are operating outside the regulations. That makes them vulnerable to fees. They might be highly trained groomers who are super-clean -- it won't matter. They are not able to be licensed, so they are illegal.
    In some cases it is not nervousness Emma it is outright panic. People are saying they will close shop. DOUBLE grooming prices. Refuse to do dogs that are remotely a risk. REFUSE TO GROOM DOGS for those who voted for the bill...IT is outright panic. The rules have to be written after (and IF ) it passes into law. I live in a state with facility liscenses. It is not unreasonable and it is not that expensive. People are actually refusing to get a license saying COME GET ME... I understand resistance to change but this is minor. No worse than getting a drivers license. It will not be the end to grooming as we know it.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    In some cases it is not nervousness Emma it is outright panic. People are saying they will close shop. DOUBLE grooming prices. Refuse to do dogs that are remotely a risk. REFUSE TO GROOM DOGS for those who voted for the bill...IT is outright panic. The rules have to be written after (and IF ) it passes into law. I live in a state with facility liscenses. It is not unreasonable and it is not that expensive. People are actually refusing to get a license saying COME GET ME... I understand resistance to change but this is minor. No worse than getting a drivers license. It will not be the end to grooming as we know it.
    I agree that panic is not helpful. I feel sorry for the people who are feeling that stress. It is really an awful feeling to feel panic.

This will add to the drain of population from states like NJ and NY. It's already a highly taxed and regulated state, this won't help but hurt businesses and self employed groomers and will it save one pet from harm, doubt it. Accidents will still happen and there will always be groomers who are abusive.

It's just another way of extracting money to feed the state coffers so they can squander it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No not really Tom you are usually right on. Legislators and media are swamping them with complaints. WE ASKED FOR IT. RIGHT DOGMA. We sat around and did nothing to help our industry protect pets. It is not about money.

I am looking forward to something sensible and about safety. I think that will work fine.