Default how to tell if a groomer is safe?

If I could provide one service to help owners and groomers, it would be figuring out a way to rank safety. Yelp helps (ha, sometimes!) to rank other aspects, but I don't think it is that helpful for safety, because what an owner perceives to be dangerous may not actually be a dangerous technique, and vice versa. An owner might not realized that walking away from a dog on a table is highly dangerous, while they may perceive a grooming loop as being a big danger.
    I am not smart enough to do this, but I wish I could! So many possible customers never even take their dog or cat to a groomer because they are scared. I feel for them and their pets. I also feel sad that there is so much business being lost to groomers, since there is a whole market of pet lovers who avoid our service. We could all be rich!
    Any geniuses on here who has an idea about what to do? I believe that truly, only safety really matters. All the other stuff is valuable too, like styling ability, but if a pet gets injured, that is the whole story, whereas a bad styling can be fixed later.

Most of my customers find me by referral. That to me is still one of the best things for pet owners to do is to ask for referrals. I wish I could think of a system but who is going to do all that oversight? No one I can think of. Stumped.

How many people check out the licensing agencies for doctors. You can call your state to validate a medical license. How many do that? I bet very few.

First thing that comes to mind is maybe a short series of videos with "do's and don'ts" for owners to look out for- including some safe holds that may not look so good, but with explanations of what we are actually doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tabbykitten13 View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is maybe a short series of videos with "do's and don'ts" for owners to look out for- including some safe holds that may not look so good, but with explanations of what we are actually doing.
    I like the video idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tabbykitten13 View Post
    That could be cute! Maybe a dog and cat "Safety Squad" doing inspections.

Yea I think video would work best for most pet owners.

Stumped actually. Now if they completed a cert course in safety that would be a good sign. But if they are bi polar? I had an employee I let go who was surely that way.

A little help will be a safety certification being talked about here. Any pet owner in their state can call and see if the groomer has an active safety cert. I call our state licensing board to see if there are any complaints when we find a new dentist or doctor or contractor to do my kitchen. Assuming that if someone is in business is safe is an easy way out. I hope we do have safety cert and a way to check it out by a simple call. They are already doing that for vocational licensed professions. But how many people do it? Stop being victims and get what your taxes are paying for.

A safety certification may help, as long as it is tied to the groomer, not the salon. Groomers move around a lot when they are beginners.
    Flat faced breeds may wind up being rejected by most salons as they have health risks, poor babies, so salons wont want the liability. At this time, only Lufthansa flies flat faced cats fron china to the U.S.
    Just my thoughts.

Emma I am sure they meant the groomer because the groomer takes the course. When you have a cert like this you must maintain it so the groomer has to change their address with the certifier.