Default Show grooming vs. Pet grooming of cats

Since I started grooming a few cats from well known breeders who raise show cats, I am starting to understand that there are 2 types of cat grooming clients. Clients who want the minimum, out of a feeling that cat grooming is unnatural. Clients who want their cat to look perfect, instagram ready. Very different attitudes.
    I thought the ncgia school was kind of over-the-top in regards to being detailed, but now I see that it is more that they are trying to inspire a show-quality grooming standard. I think that is right? Or am I still getting it wrong?
    I think the show quality aspiration is especially helpful to teach if the groomer is working on breeder cats and international clients. I see now that the minimal approach to cat grooming is more of an American thing. My international clients are looking for much more.
    True of dog grooming?
    Anyway, just putting these thoughts out there in case it helps people who want to groom cats. So much to learn!

I might be biased because I am certified with NCGI, but I guess my feeling is that why can't "every day pet cats" look and feel like a show cat? It is about being thoroughly clean, preventing damage or problems, and promoting healthy skin and coat. I could see maybe the face trim on Persians, Exotics & Himys could go a little more into the more particular aspects, and obviously any shaving or trimming of the body hair is outside the show aspect. But the foundation is really about enhancing a cat's natural beauty and with regular appointments, the owner doesn't need to do anything at home - they can just enjoy a beautiful, soft, clean-smelling cat.

Once I started bathing my own cats regularly, I noticed such a big difference. Seeing really was believing for me as a cat owner. My cats have specific behaviors when they are starting to go too long in between grooms (my Exotic will sit in the tub and even sinks staring intently at the faucets, my Persian will go and sit patiently in her carrier while I'm getting ready to leave for work). They feel good, they prance around, they can be more playful and affectionate.

Finally, dog grooming standards have a basis in the show world. Even if the average pets are not being handstripped on a strict schedule (but many are), or they are in more pet friendly trim versions (shorter length for example). I think cat clients just don't have the opportunity to know more about skin and coat care. Think of where most cat owners are getting their cats from - shelters, finding a stray, a neighbor's cat had kittens. These sources are very rarely experts in cat behavior, coat care, etc. so the owner is on their own to try and figure it out. That's where we come in as the experts, to give them information, show them the difference and help them choose services, schedules and techniques that are the best fit for their cat and their own lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by lyttleravyn View Post
    I might be biased because I am certified with NCGI, but I guess my feeling is that why can't "every day pet cats" look and feel like a show cat? It is about being thoroughly clean, preventing damage or problems, and promoting healthy skin and coat. I could see maybe the face trim on Persians, Exotics & Himys could go a little more into the more particular aspects, and obviously any shaving or trimming of the body hair is outside the show aspect. But the foundation is really about enhancing a cat's natural beauty and with regular appointments, the owner doesn't need to do anything at home - they can just enjoy a beautiful, soft, clean-smelling cat.

Once I started bathing my own cats regularly, I noticed such a big difference. Seeing really was believing for me as a cat owner. My cats have specific behaviors when they are starting to go too long in between grooms (my Exotic will sit in the tub and even sinks staring intently at the faucets, my Persian will go and sit patiently in her carrier while I'm getting ready to leave for work). They feel good, they prance around, they can be more playful and affectionate.

Finally, dog grooming standards have a basis in the show world. Even if the average pets are not being handstripped on a strict schedule (but many are), or they are in more pet friendly trim versions (shorter length for example). I think cat clients just don't have the opportunity to know more about skin and coat care. Think of where most cat owners are getting their cats from - shelters, finding a stray, a neighbor's cat had kittens. These sources are very rarely experts in cat behavior, coat care, etc. so the owner is on their own to try and figure it out. That's where we come in as the experts, to give them information, show them the difference and help them choose services, schedules and techniques that are the best fit for their cat and their own lifestyle.
    Great points. Thank you.

Customers looking for show quality, 20% at most today. I think an assn or school has to be some degree inspiring of show quality, but no school can teach that in the beginning of course. But encouraging certification of course. Most of my cat clients like I said are not interested. Most dog groomers do not want show quality grooming. Cat or dog show quality should come with a price. More and more handlers came about doing the grooming.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    Since I started grooming a few cats from well known breeders who raise show cats, I am starting to understand that there are 2 types of cat grooming clients. Clients who want the minimum, out of a feeling that cat grooming is unnatural. Clients who want their cat to look perfect, instagram ready. Very different attitudes.
    I thought the ncgia school was kind of over-the-top in regards to being detailed, but now I see that it is more that they are trying to inspire a show-quality grooming standard. I think that is right? Or am I still getting it wrong?
    I think the show quality aspiration is especially helpful to teach if the groomer is working on breeder cats and international clients. I see now that the minimal approach to cat grooming is more of an American thing. My international clients are looking for much more.
    True of dog grooming?
    Anyway, just putting these thoughts out there in case it helps people who want to groom cats. So much to learn!

My cats have specific behaviors when they are starting to go too long in between grooms (my Exotic will sit in the tub and even sinks staring intently at the faucets, my Persian will go and sit patiently in her carrier while I'm getting ready to leave for work). They feel good, they prance around, they can be more playful and affectionate.
    That's great visual! I can just imagine your cats lining up by the bathtub, meowing impatiently, waiting to be cleaned up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love Persians. They are so special.

Great post.