Default Encountered many fleas while grooming a Persian

Since I groom in NYC with clients whose paws rarely touch anything other than carpets, I see fleas once every few years.
    I visited a new client yesterday. As it turned out that the cat was really the wife's pet, but the husband was the one who was at home. He scheduled the visit. As I often read here, when a spouse is supervising grooming, but that spouse isn't the one who makes the decisions or knows the pet, things can go wrong fast.
    Anyhooo, gentle, beautiful Persian. Perfect coat everywhere except the chest, where there was a large mat. As I shaved it off, I noticed flea dirt. Then I saw a couple of fleas. Hoping that this was all there was, I showed the husband the fleas, and proceeded to bathe the cat. Many more fleas appeared. All I had was my gentle hypoallergenic shampoo, but I did my best to let the cat soak for a while, tried to put it on thickly. No luck. The fleas were running around, even when I tried to pick them off with my fingers they were practically glued on. AAARGH.
    Poor kitty! What a waste for the kitty. I knew the cat would need another bath, so this bath was just putting the cat through an unpleasant experience for no reason at all, but once I started, I had to finish. I really feel sad for the cat.
    The husband had no idea the cat had fleas. He called his wife. She said the cat had lived on a farm, had fleas before, and it turned out the cat came here with her from another country a few months ago. The cat is not on a preventive treatment.
    I feel like I failed, because the cat still had a bunch of fleas when I left. Then again, I wasn't warned. I don't carry around Dawn or shampoo that might have been more effective. I don't even carry a flea comb.
    But the main thing is that the poor sweet cat went through all that for nothing. At least I shaved the mat and trimmed the claws. Then I went home and washed everything that I wore and all my tools, even threw away the blade used to shave her.
    What would you have done? Other ways to handle this situation? Not happy.

I would recommend they talk to their vet about Capstar and then a preventative. They will also need to do a deep clean in their home (carpets, bedding, cat bedding/trees, etc.) because if the cat has fleas, they also have fleas in the home. I don't use Dawn and try to avoid other harsh shampoos as well, but all my cats get bathed every appointment. Another suggestion is to do a follow up bath after the cat is on treatment to remove the remaining dead fleas.

I know you travel light, but it might be a good idea to carry a small, no-handle flea comb or two in your kit. I find they're really good for eye goobies, bits of poop stuck on the butt (use a different comb!) and for getting those stubborn sheddy chunks around ears. Here's a pic of what I mean- https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-comb-for-cats

Well, I wouldn't have thrown my blade away. That being said, you don't see many fleas as you said so you did what you could with what you had. Add a good flea comb to your bag, carry a few cat capstar (they won't go bad anytime soon, if you don't need for a while), they work within 30 mins of giving. You know I am not house call, but I always have capstar on hand and my salon has never been infested fleas, no shampoo will work better than a capstar.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I think it's not your fault, but yes I feel sad with the fact that the cat suffers from fleas. I guess it will be better if you will bring the stuff that is needed to remove flea the next time you do grooming session with a cat that is infested.

I didn't know Capstar worked so quickly. Good to know. I will start bringing my little flea comb, since it does serve multiple purposes. I emailed the client the name of a veterinary practice near them that is popular with another client in the area. I hope they get professional help with the fleas.