Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I've been offered an opportunity to rent a purpose built salon.

Admin : if this is in the wrong place please move.

I have been approached by a dog walking /bording / day care business who wants me to rent their purpose built salon from them.

All the info I have right now is :

°it won't be ready for at least 18 months

°they do not want anything to do with running a salon but want to provide grooming

°they want me as they feel I'm a good fit for their ideals (I produce high quality grooms, kind and Compassionate to my furry friends, they only ever hear glowing feed back about me from mutual clients)

°they will provide a full set up Inc. Bath and driers and kenneks, all I need is the rest of the grooming equipment.

Im planning on a, sit down chat with them but, I've no idea what I need to ask them or what I need to know.

Any ideas?? Thanks

Wait until they are much further along before having a discussion. Anything can happen in a year and a half.

I'm in over my head as far as advice for you. Just wanted to congratulate you on the opportunity! Even if it comes to naught, what a lovely recognition of your skills and professionalism!

I like what Emma said. And I think it sounds like a good opportunity! And those glowing compliments.. well tuck those in your head and heart and if it doesn't work out.. something else will.. but keep those compliments close by lol!!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Thank you for your replies, it is a huge compliment!

She has actually contacted me this morning asking for a meet up and chat about the salon as she wants me to help design the building and she's going to finance the business too and wants to organise repayments via the business and wants to get the ball rolling ASAP!

It's scary and exciting!

Will you be paid for your work as a consultant?

That's going to be one of the questions I'll be asking her when we meet for coffee to discuss in more detail.

What is the flow of the money? Are you truly just renting the place. You set the fees, you take the money, you simply pay rent and arrange utilities. So if one of their customers comes to you, that customer is owned by you at least for grooming purposes? They are not asking for any referral monies or ?? if they send you customers? See where I am going. You said they want to be able to offer grooming. That is great, but again that brings up those previous questions. You own your, their own yours, from you all they are entitled to is the rent utilities, and you entirely run your operation, prices everything. This all needs to very clear and in writing, no misconceptions...but for now.............

Agree 100% with Emma.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

All those are on my list of questions to ask to.

I really appriciate the advice your giving me and its given me a lot of thinking to do.

Thank you

Marshmellow, do you run your own salon? I can see that in your future if you don't already do it. A stand-alone business run by you. You have the "learning" attitude that can take you far. Many, many people do not enjoy learning.

I'm in a weird situation, I'm employed at a vets, but because they are no groomers, I feel like im constantly butting heads with them.

Im not allowed to charge more for matted or difficult/aggressive pets or pets that take longer than normal, I'm no longer to open the grooming deliveries as it doesn't have my name on (yet been doing so for the last 3 and a bit years) and I'm limited to how much I'm to order in regards to shampoo etc. I'm no longer allowed to refuse groomers based on my professional opinion. I'm limited in what styles I can and can't do (basically only do all off, trims, Teddy cuts, breed cuts. No creative styling at all &#128532

I'm so desperate for my own salon and I'm trying so hard not to let my heart run away with this. I know I can't afford to start up on my own. I don't have a credit score as I don't have any debt or credit cards or loans or anything. I'm feeling really frustrated and down hearted here. Don't get me wrong, it's stable and a million times better than what I endured at the Corp salon, but it's not what I expected or hoped for either.

I do love learning and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so I can make a truly informed decision. I cant afford for things to go belly up.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a whinge and moan post.

Default Update!

So, I had a chat with her and it turns out that I miss understood her. It won't be my business, I will be employed, but I am to treat it as mine.

She's offering me:
    a higher starting salery that will increase yearly (she was very surprised to hear I was on just above nmw with having 11 years experience)
    Driving lessons as part of my salery(I can't drive as I've not learnt)
    More opportunity to attend seminars and trade shows to better myself (currently don't have the opportunity to do sodue to cost and lack of transport)
    The same days and hours
    Help me to promote and market the salon effectively (something that isn't happening now)
    I will have total control over booking and such and will have my back and support me if I say no (something I do not have)
    Starting date would be early Feb, not 18 months time.

The only issues I'm seeing at the moment is
    Travelling there as it is very out of the way
    I have a no Compete in my contract. It doesn't stipulate a geographical distance. It says I cannot groom /work for another groomer for 6 months. I need a meeting with work to discuss the no Compete as it is effectively preventing me from working for 6 months. Besides a disaterous 3 months in a sandwich shop, grooming is all I have ever done.
    Wish me luck with this meeting, I'm feeling so anxious about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast