Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    Hubby is completely on board, he wants me to be happy. And my current job is making me unhappy, it's just, with it being only my income coming into the house, it's a scary step, as I currently have a stable steady income.

Im plagued with the what ifs.

What if it fails? How will we pay the bills? Things of that nature. But I know that's my anxiety talking,and so far, there are far more positives than there is negatives.
    You won't fail! My husband started his own business from scratch about 40 yrs ago and it's provided us with homes, cars, food, clothes, nice things... etc etc. My son moved to Colorado about 4 yrs ago, with a job in hand.. and just left that job and is making more doing his own thing than working for the stupid company he moved to Colorado for. So... you've got this!!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Thank you.

It is what it is and a salon, a business cannot survive if effort from its owners is non exsistant.

After that meeting I have decided that I am going for it and I'm gonna put as much effort as needed to make it work

Validation means a lot, doesn't it? So when your current employer receives the news that you are thinking about jumping ship and they don't seem to care, it really puts a negative spin on your thinking. Of course, they may be playing poker, hoping you will stay and they won't have to give you a raise to do so. (Lots of times employees use a job prospect to leverage better wages/compensation at their current job.) Or they are too dumb to realize what a gem you are. Either way, they don't deserve you and your talents.
    If they own the business they can disregard the no compete. No lawyers needed. Perhaps they would waive it as a thank you for your years of service?

How close to your salon is the new job?

Validation does mean a lot.

I don't feel appriciated for the hard work and effort I do put in for the few clients I do have. I've lost about 20% of my clients in the last 12 months to death or moving away or the cost as they bought more pets and can't afford the salons prices.

Xmas is quiet. I mean scary so, i still have 15 apps left for Xmas week and the of the days I do have dogs booked, I've only 1 or 2 in. And they are simply not bothered.

I don't understand why they need to check with lawyers either as they do own the business. So yes they could waive it if they wanted to. I feel a bit in limbo with it. I am gonna hand my notice in next week though as my new employer has said if the refuse to waive it, she will hire me as a dog walker and open up the salon in 6 months.

I'd say about 5 or 6 miles. My no Compete however, doesn't have a geographical limit on it, just a time limit of 6 months.

I am gonna hand my notice in next week though as my new employer has said if the refuse to waive it, she will hire me as a dog walker and open up the salon in 6 months.
    Oh wow! New employer sounds amazing! Your whole situation brings to mind Cinderella.

Now, as to that resignation letter, make sure you hand them the 'not burning bridges behind you ' one, and not the draft that tells them EXACTLY what you think and how you feel! But have fun writing it!

All I was gonna put is
    "to whom it concerns,
    I hereby give 2 months starting from x and ending on x as my notice of terminating my working contract with yourselves
    Sincerely marshmellow"

I have a no Compete in my contract. It doesn't stipulate a geographical distance. It says I cannot groom /work for another groomer for 6 months.
    Non-competes must include a reasonable time AND distance requirement. They cannot prevent you from making a living, in the field you are experienced. How far is the new place from where you work? 2 miles, 5 miles, 20 miles?

I would also say if you are paid as a W2 at the vet, you cannot contact clients directly or bring any of the information in their booking system with you.

Lyttlrravyn, I'm not exactly sure what a w2 is... I live in the UK and here, as far as I know, your either employed or your self employed.

I am employed and I am fully aware I cannot take tge clients unless my employer a) waives my no Compete and b) doesn't hire any one to replace me and thus gives me the 103 clients .

However, if they do waive the no Compete and they hire a new groomer, there is nothing to stop the clients looking for me as most of my regulars did just that. They found me. I didnt/couldn't tell them I left my previous corp job.

The new place is about 5 miles away and is on the vext town over, on the opposite side to where I work currently.

I only have the 6 month limit, there is no geographical limit on it. I've triple checked it.

Does my simple resignation letter sound OK?

I don't know about the resignation letter lol... but what I would do is start signing my full name to your receipts.. if you can do that.

My vet when she got pregnant last year.. I just had this feeling she wasn't going to come back to her place of work. She said she would be returning to work sometime last May. So.. as the time got near I called and they said they had no idea when she was coming back. I was in a bit of a panic because I really like her. And I just knew after spending all that time in school and all her certifications in the vet field.. no way she'd quit. Anyway.. I googled her name and she had a web page, the pain veterinarian. And it said any inquiries please contact her at this email or on FB. So I did and found out where she was going. I thought it was very clever.

So that's why I suggest perhaps giving people your full name. I was going to suggest a website, but former work could contact you causing issues. Hmmm, you'll have to think about it.

My hairdresser just quit and is moving to Utah from San Diego. She gave me the name of another gal.. and I just know her first name! I'm in a bit of a panic since she also told me they are closing the whole salon. So... now to find Patrice or Patricia.. or Beatrice. Yikes lol
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I wear a name badge with my full name on, I was also thinking of making some simple cards signed with my full name.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast