Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wow Marshmellow- offered driving lessons? Now that is going the extra mile!
    How do you feel about her offer? Do you get a good vibe from her? Do you feel like she is someone you could work for?
    You said it is very out of the way. Location can help or hurt a business. Is it just out of the way for you or is it out in the middle of nowhere where it might be hard to entice customers to come?

It surely does sound exciting though, and February is just around the corner! Really hope it works out for you!
    Have to smile thinking about a groomer in a sandwich shop. "Wait-I need to trim off the cheese hanging out over the bun. It's spoiling the outline."

The other huge issue is risk. New businesses are risky. They fail sometimes. Owners change plans. If you can handle the financial risk, that's cool. If not, suggest saving money just in case.
    Upside is that you would get useful business experience, even if it fails.

To answer your questions poodlefeet:
    It's out of the way for me as its difficult to get to via public transport.
    Her offer... She's essentially giving me everything I want on a plate, I'm worried there's a huge catch, even though she assures me there isn't one.
    I get great vibes from her, she has the same vision and tastes in what we both want in a salon.
    Again I feel like we would work well together as we have similar Work ethics

Emma, I get its a huge risk. She's is however very successful. She is doing really well with her dog walking /home boarding /day care /coffee shops and we do share a large number of mutual clients who would happily use me should I work for her.

Poodle feet, I had to laugh at the sand which comment, because it was so true!

Thank you for your responses and also for your questions. I really do appriciate it and I'm glad to get yoyr honest feedback. It's why I love this board, you know the answers you get will be honest and helpful.

Love that she has other successful businesses!

Quack quack quack. Sounds like ducks getting in a neat little row.
    Is hubby on board? (None of our business, no need to answer on here, just support vs skeptical can be a huge factor emotionally).

Don't allow fear of change hold you back from opportunities that you would like to take. Held myself back far too long because it was easier to drift along in my little boat of unhappy than to jump overboard and swim to Much Happier Island. So while it's important to look at this carefully and weigh the answers to your questions honestly, if it comes out more positive than negative, don't let fear or inertia be your deciding factor. Change is often pretty positive. Unless it's your rent. That's never good.

Hubby is completely on board, he wants me to be happy. And my current job is making me unhappy, it's just, with it being only my income coming into the house, it's a scary step, as I currently have a stable steady income.

Im plagued with the what ifs.

What if it fails? How will we pay the bills? Things of that nature. But I know that's my anxiety talking,and so far, there are far more positives than there is negatives.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "no compete" rule is legally against the law since it prevents a person for making a living. I would certainly have an attorney look at your contract before you sign.

Happy changing jobs

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Honestly dolly, I've no idea if the no Compete is against the law in the UK and is something Im trying to find out more info on. You are right though, it will prevent me from working if it does need to be upheld.

At the time, I (very stupidly) didn't read the contract properly before signing as I was so desperate to leave a very toxic Corp environment. Needless to say, it was a tough lesson to learn. I will be reading my next one properly.

Well I had the meeting with work.

No plans at all to improve the salon on increase the clientele.
    They need to speak to employment lawyers regard my no Compete.
    Beyond that, they didn't really care that I said I was considering this other position which I'm a little upset about as its a very small team i work along side.

I'm taking it as a sign that I have ran my course here

Do you have a government employment bureau that has a website with answers?

From what I've seen online , it's a case by case situation of whether it gets enforced and its down to the judge if it's taken to court. I can't really find anything on the governments department of work and pensions about it

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    Well I had the meeting with work.

No plans at all to improve the salon on increase the clientele.
    They need to speak to employment lawyers regard my no Compete.
    Beyond that, they didn't really care that I said I was considering this other position which I'm a little upset about as its a very small team i work along side.

I'm taking it as a sign that I have ran my course here
    I'm sorry about your current job.. and I really really hope this new endeavor works out for you!!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast