Unsure Becoming a family business years and years later

When I opened my business about 20 years ago no family was involved. I didn't have kids yet or a husband. My two kids love animals but styling, no desire. Husband is great with animals, I don't think I could be married to someone who isn't. My daughter in law signed up for grooming school. News to me other than she loves to come by. I think she will be great. She has filled in as a bather many times. She doesn't want to open a grooming business ever. She wants to work here. My son is OK with it.

What gets me is I have mixed emotions, and I don't know why. I know nothing about her that would be a problem, but still something says think twice. But I feel it is a positive.

That is what family is all about, challenges but holding the love and respect. Use your intuition. Certainly one day you will retire and it could go on. Just hold onto the control of the company. No fancy dreams now, let her learn all the ropes. See how she holds up. It could be a way to pass down your legacy.

Some couples do better not working together everyday. Now if they are running a bigger operation like pet care center and retail etc, they are not in each other's face all day. Mom and daughter I have seen more positive than negative. Mom and daughter in law I have seen too. It is challenging when a marriage breaks up though. I agree use your intuition and watch commitments. Try, try try and it may be work out great.

I sense you are a family person by your stories of your trips and sounds like you have great shop. I agree that you make it clear you will attempt this and see how it goes. Don't promise other commitments upfront and follow your heart and manager skills.

We are now a family business. We believe in having time separate each day. It's easy for us because we started both a new mobile business and bought a small in operation shop. So one of us may be at the shop and yet the next day work mobile. The shop books all the mobile appts which has worked brilliantly for the mobile groomer. I am really liking a family business under these circumstances.