Nerdy Latest Survey Result

We did a survey for the October magazine here. Lots of questions but to the point now. Generally in Seventies and Eighties about 65% of groomers wanted their own business. This increased to 70 to 72% in the Nineties and early millennium years. Today we finished the calc and the number is 83% now. Hmm, what is going on?

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I quickly realized that being an owner is lucrative. I didn't have the earning potential working for others that I do working for myself, and by being able to set my own prices and exert my own philosophies on my practice, I've realized my earning potential.

I think the concept of mobile grooming is much more commonplace than in the 70' or 80's when you never heard of " such a thing". I still have some "old timers" asking me "do you wash dogs"? I agree with everything Sandy said, lucrative, your own hours, you can fire a client/dog, and choose your own area you want to work in....it's called Win, Win, Win situation.

Happy working for yourself

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Being your own boss can have many rewards. I have a home-based shop and have no rent and very little overhead. I establish my own prices and hours.....I have freedom and money that I didn't have when I worked for someone else. I also have zero drama because I work alone.

I agree with all you so far. I think the idea of even housecall in addition to mobile has convinced more to work alone.

Agree with everything said so far. Countrygrl stated my exact motives.
    In my situation, being older was a factor as well-more financially stable, desirous of realizing my own success, able to keep the bills paid until I became profitable.
    But I met some wonderful young groomers at Hershey who have lots of drive and energy and ambition and enthusiasm.
    Makes me wonder if the trend is more prevalent in any given age group, or if it is pretty even across the board. It also wonders me if number of years grooming has any relevance.
    Geez I'm a numbers freak.

You know sometimes we post a thread like this and in the next 3 days people start calling. Lurkers do call. And I say please post, don't worry. Yesterday 1,693 visited the board in less than 24 hours. Non registered ones that read, and that is a lot of them are not counted here. Anyway I digress. The calls were about where are the groomers??? Of course. It was like a response to this thread. Is the future more and more and more one person businesses? I think we got some answers.

Most who called were groomers with staff in commercial locations. If they lease a bigger shop paying the rent is impossible without being able to hire groomers. I heard some really sad and frustrated groomers that the least 3 years has been worse than ever. That is how my morning went. I agree with what everyone is saying here, this is yet another factor in the changing industry.

Stephen, what does "the last 3 years has been worse than ever" mean? As far as finding competent groomers, business demand? I've only been in business two years and I CANNOT, in any way, keep up with the demand. If only I could find a groomers near me with my outlook, I'd have a fleet.

Sandy. Yes just saying the complaints in surveys, or personally, that the shortage of groomers for shops has been the most vocal ever in the last 3 years. Compile that with surveys showing the highest responses from employed groomers that want to get into their own businesses, maybe this explains the ever increasing complaints about lack of groomers to hire. I know some of our regular members have said they are backing off salon/shop locations more fitting for staffs and going smaller, or at home, perhaps mobile etc.

Thanks Stephen, I just didn't know what you meant exactly. I understand what those employed groomers are not happy with. I make easily 5x more than when I worked for others, but I also have the expenses I didn't have then. I wouldn't trade it for anything though, I like setting my own standards.

I hope it has a lot to do with me but I have been able to keep some groomers about 5 years. I do have asst groomers who I can move up to like beginning groomers which helps if someone leaves.

I keep a comfortable atmosphere. I am very vivacious most of the time with customers. I like so many of them and they like me it sets a good tone. I get rid of problem groomers. One bad egg spoils the bunch is so true. I have had my challenges. But I stay positive and I point every groom they do very good or great. They get feedback ALMOST EVERY DOG. I think that is important. At least twice a month I do a pastry breakfast and then a pizza lunch. I give a good holiday bonus.

My core few stay and stay most of the time. I certainly know this is a big problem. I know the other owners and they have problems. Some so bad they bring in their children to do the bathing! As fill ins.

4them you sound like a caring employer who is truly managing the business. I would have loved working for you! My experience was a boss who paid us 40% and left us all day to run her business while she ran the roads and did zero in the shop! There was jealousy, gossiping, arguing over who gets what dog and nit-picking and lots of drama. This has been my observation in most of the all female offices(including the attorney I worked for) when no one is actually managing the business. A job I loved became a daily dread! The atmosphere in a shop spills over to your grooming and customer relations. After I left and went on my own, my customers began telling me they knew all was not right with the former situation at the old shop. Keeping a pleasant positive working environment is quite an accomplishment! I thing it takes a certain kind of personality and knowledge of people skills to do a good job. I would not be a good manager so I keep it a one man show.