Default Two of my least favorite sayings

In dog grooming groups and message boards there are two things that get said a lot:

You get what you pay for

You can have it Fast, Good or Cheap but you have to pick one.

I really despise these sayings. The first one implies that if you pay more for something you are somehow or another getting better QUALITY than if you pay less for it. The second implies that if it is fast and good it is impossible, or good and cheap cannot go hand in hand...

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...e-sayings.html
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I understand the sentiment. My philosophy of management for my business is I only give the best groom. Of course sometimes we cannot, a pet is ill, disabled, you do the best for the pet.

I set my price for the best groom. There is only one price, one column for prices. There are not additional columns for acceptable or mediocre. There are no options for quality. I will say it, not to be mean, but if you think those statements are true, and acceptable, that is not how a successful business runs. Some could say it does in retail, but when was grooming retail, and we are talking living pets.

I had always heard that with Fast, Good and Cheap, you pick two (aka the iron triangle)

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    In dog grooming groups and message boards there are two things that get said a lot:

You get what you pay for

You can have it Fast, Good or Cheap but you have to pick one.

I really despise these sayings. The first one implies that if you pay more for something you are somehow or another getting better QUALITY than if you pay less for it. The second implies that if it is fast and good it is impossible, or good and cheap cannot go hand in hand...

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...e-sayings.html
    Who offers fast, good and cheap? Novices? I don't understand. That is like selling out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    Who offers fast, good and cheap? Novices? I don't understand. That is like selling out yourself.
    Some do. But you missed the entire point. All the time we hear, if you are fast it must not be good. If you are cheaper than others it must be bad grooming. I have even been told that a person who spends 2 hours on a yorkie obviously does a better groom and deserves yo be paid more due to the time they took to get there. You don't always get better just because you pay more. And yes, some people charge less than they should for the quality they provide and are happy.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

So true Parti. Lots of fast groomers are beautifully efficient, they don't waste any movements. I know some and they also SWEAR without their favorite shears which are usually top notch, average quality or less shears SLOW groomers down.

In the marketplace, there is a good reason to charge at least middle-of-the-market prices. Profit, rather than gross revenue, is a goal. Chain stores and scalable businesses can charge below market rates, because they aim for higher overall volume nationally, or hope to sell the business once they manage to dominate the market.
    Cheap and fast can work for people who are able, physically, to be high volume. For people over a certain age, that can be hard or impossible due to stress injuries. Stress and repetitive motion injury seems to be a common problem for older groomers, even highly skilled groomers.
    My initial reaction was, "why charge prices that are considered to be cheap, if the work is good and the salon is appealing? Why not charge mid-range prices at least? Would that result in more or less profit?"
    Each to their own. Sounds like it works well in this situation, and that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    In the marketplace, there is a good reason to charge at least middle-of-the-market prices. Profit, rather than gross revenue, is a goal. Chain stores and scalable businesses can charge below market rates, because they aim for higher overall volume nationally, or hope to sell the business once they manage to dominate the market.
    Cheap and fast can work for people who are able, physically, to be high volume. For people over a certain age, that can be hard or impossible due to stress injuries. Stress and repetitive motion injury seems to be a common problem for older groomers, even highly skilled groomers.
    My initial reaction was, "why charge prices that are considered to be cheap, if the work is good and the salon is appealing? Why not charge mid-range prices at least? Would that result in more or less profit?"
    Each to their own. Sounds like it works well in this situation, and that is all that matters.
    And that is what is changing, look at the issues some big pet store chains are having. Bad investments elsewhere are leaving some in the corner. It's the Amazon thing putting pressure on them. I don't know what change is coming, but expect change in the old ways of doing business. My son there are already new consultant firms advising cities what to do with "abandoned malls" once most tenants go out of business.

Did you see that huge chain of mattress with thousands of stores is having to close a lot of them. Because people are buying Casper beds online!!! I think he is right, even major malls may be gone in the next few years.

Well before I chime in, your hair looks great in that post!

I am glad I don't hear these comments so much. Really glad.