Default Hello From Northern Virginia (Washington, DC suburbs)

Hello

My wife is in grooming school and will be finished this Nov.
    we wanted learn more and want some information.
    - What is good magazine to subscribe to?
    - Where do I find out about trade shows in my area?
    - what is the pros and cons to offset handle vs. straight long handle?
    - I assume forged is better than cast?
    - what information should we seek before purchasing shears?

- I also wanted some information about shears repair, sharping, etc. is it hard to learn? I have very handy with my hands and tools. Do I need lots of equipment? Where or how do I get started?

Wish we had more questions, but being so new, we have no clue what else to ask.

Thank you
    Samantha and Jonathan.

I will answer some of these.

Subscribe to magazines at www.barkleigh.com. There is a magazine here too, see the button Our Magazine near top of page.
    There is a calendar at barkleigh.com and in magazines. and https://petgroomer.com/industry-calendar/ Most of the shows are mid Spring to mid Fall.
    Basic shears at an affordable price, perhaps Heritage brand. I like Kenchii but cost more yet not super expensive. Remember shears for dog grooming are NOT the same as human shears. See Jeff the sharpener I think at www.northerntails.com and he does expert sharpening by mail. Many sharpeners of human shears may not know how to best sharpen grooming shears. Jeff has lots of handouts at his site. They don't teach much of that in schools. Remember thinning and blending shears are important too.

DO NOT SHARPEN YOUR OWN. It is a SKILL that takes time to learn. Warning. It is not expensive.

There is a smaller trade show coming up in Northeast this month. The BIG show of them all was last weekend in PA.

Realize after grooming school she will need thousands of hours more experience before saying I am professional groomer. I suggest videos like Jodi Murphy and streaming at learn2groomdogs.com. I use both for a long time. Google Jodi Murphy.

Welcome to grooming. I second all of the above. Another educational site is www.PawsitiveEd.com. There are a great deal of safety and business programs here. And I'm always available to answer questions.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Welcome, sorry for the late response. Be sure to read the blogs here is the link from the top of the page here www.groomwise.com

Hi I saw this just now. Welcome to the place.

Welcome, you came to the right place for industry info and I read the classifieds every day. Got some major buys here. But some want too much but there are steals here sometimes. I have found some employees here too. But I like knowing if I have any question on anything groomer ask it here. Someone will have your answer in hours.

Hello!