I have to say..there's nothing worse than a dog struggling so. I did think the groomer was calm, though I know she was probably internally going.. "can I finish??" I think in these cases, rather than a sedation groom, why not have the vet prescribe either Clomicalm or Trazadone? And do a bit at a time?

The interesting thing is I had a dog just like this a couple of weeks ago. I met them in dog training. The trainer and I have similar philosophies.. so I gave them my card and said.. "Come watch, come help." I didn't know the history of the dog, but they had gotten the dog this past January and she had been shaved and they've done nothing since, since they were terrified she was going to be hurt. And they were brushing the surface of the dog. Her legs, her neck, and her bum were horribly matted. Well, the couple treated for everything!!! They gave her a treat when she bit me. They gave her a treat when she flailed. I worked on her for less than an hour.. shaved the mats out with a 10 and said.. "You need to bring her to me every week or every 2 weeks until she can tolerate a 2 hour groom." I even suggested that the trainer and I work together and I even offered not to charge them!! The dog left clean but looked horrible and they were like "oh we expected this." But then they hesitated when it came time to booking again. So I emailed the trainer and said.. "this is what happened and this is what I offered." So, since January, no grooming. I gave them a better slicker brush and said.. "go slow, start on a towel somewhere, like the top of the washing machine... and brush what can you can and say YES when she's being cooperative." It's very frustrating. I'm glad this groomer was able to finish and I hope she posts a vid of the next time the dog comes in. I mean, they could bring the dog in in 2 weeks for a bath, you know??
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

The best difficult dog grooming video that I have seen is Sue Zecco and Jay Skruggs. It is very professional and informative on handling a difficult dog.

My Favorite Groomer makes it more difficult than it has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lillypeanut View Post
    The best difficult dog grooming video that I have seen is Sue Zecco and Jay Skruggs. It is very professional and informative on handling a difficult dog.

My Favorite Groomer makes it more difficult than it has to be.
    I agree and love lots of their videos. Wasn't Groomers Choice showing some of their videos complimentary?

Well.............I'm an old, opinionated, groomer so in my mind, I saw a lot of mistakes I think the groomer did:

1). She should have owned a Groomer's Helper
    2). After the bath, she should have repeated the #7 blade all over the body to even out the cut
    3). I don't have any explanation regarding that turquoise stick that she rubbed the nose/face, the dog was muzzled to prevent biting.......put a stick on my nose and probe around my eyes and ears and I would try to bit you too !!
    4). I would have used a #40 blade to clean out the pads
    5). I wouldn't have sent the dog home with instructions that the young teens finish the face
    6). I would recommend mild sedation for the next groom
    7). Reminded me of a three-ring circus trying to hold the dog down

8). See........I told you I'm an old groomer !!

Happy Fluffy isn't my client !!

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Well.............I'm an old, opinionated, groomer so in my mind, I saw a lot of mistakes I think the groomer did:

1). She should have owned a Groomer's Helper
    2). After the bath, she should have repeated the #7 blade all over the body to even out the cut
    3). I don't have any explanation regarding that turquoise stick that she rubbed the nose/face, the dog was muzzled to prevent biting.......put a stick on my nose and probe around my eyes and ears and I would try to bit you too !!
    4). I would have used a #40 blade to clean out the pads
    5). I wouldn't have sent the dog home with instructions that the young teens finish the face
    6). I would recommend mild sedation for the next groom
    7). Reminded me of a three-ring circus trying to hold the dog down

8). See........I told you I'm an old groomer !!

Happy Fluffy isn't my client !!

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    Well said Dolly.