Default Looking for shears

Hello
    New to the forum. My wife is in grooming school and she has Geib Buttercut Gator straight 8” that she dropped once and it does not cut properly. What is my next course of action?

She also needs another 8” straight shear. What should we look for and what do you recommend in 8” straight? Again, she is new and doesn’t know any brands, what is considered good or bad.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome.. Your next course of action is to maybe send them in for repair and sharpening. I'll pm you who I think are good. They are inexpensive shears, so I don't know if I'd even send them in. Where is she going to school?

I'm not sure if there are any good or bad brands.. except perhaps Shears Direct. I got what I paid for lol. I mean Geib is okay for me.. and that's just my opinion. I have the Gators and cannot stand them. The blades are really really short. I want a longer blade. That doesn't mean they aren't a good shear. But for the price, if she liked them, just get another pair. I'm left handed, so that puts me in a different category of the world lol.

The two shears I pick up all the time are Heritage Stilletos which can be purchased from Groomersmart and my shears from Affordable Grooming Shears. Very inexpensive compared to some others, but very well made. They hold their edge well.

Shears and I'm like a total dimwit when it comes to the edges.. come either convex or concave, a bit serrated or smooth. So hopefully someone with more smarts about shears will weigh in. I just know what feels right to my hand. And that's the key.. what feels good. I've picked up some shears and as I'm grooming have felt like I have no idea what I'm doing, which means the shears aren't right for my hand. And just as a warning... shears can be a dangerous addiction lol.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Norboo View Post
    Hello
    New to the forum. My wife is in grooming school and she has Geib Buttercut Gator straight 8” that she dropped once and it does not cut properly. What is my next course of action?

She also needs another 8” straight shear. What should we look for and what do you recommend in 8” straight? Again, she is new and doesn’t know any brands, what is considered good or bad.

Thank you.
    I would get the toolsaver. I LOVE IT. No more dropped shears. I love the Kenchiis. Yes you are going to pay more but these are great and still far and away from being really expensive. It is important she learns more like I did about blending/thinning shears. Essential to a great groom. Curves to me are optional in the beginning but on my list as I get more experience. But even from day one blending thinning is key. I would go to www.jodimurphy.net and I think she has videos on this, and also she stream learn2groomdogs.com for sure.

Your Shears are in route!
    Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with! Enjoy!
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com