Default To require or not require core vaccines

I have just opened my business and currently requesting that customers have rabies due to law and parvo and distemper vaccines. It has been no one but one person so far that has had all that I am asking for. Many don't have any vaccination at all, some are doing home vaccination with no rabies. Only one person so far had rabies only.

Currently my set up for grooming is a mud room addition to the house and I will have to bathe these dogs in our personal tub which mean the dog has to come into my home. And therefore exposing my animals to whatever the customer's dog is carrying. I have considered requiring only rabies due to the law but fear that if I do that I am risking my pets and any puppy that I plan to get in the future.

My vet advised I only require the rabies since my animals are all older and up to date but a puppy is a different story. I keep going back and forth on this subject. Any thoughts and advise on the matter will be helpful. I'm very much to each their own on what they think is necessary for vaccinating their pet but I want to protect myself and my pet and future pets as well.

We only require rabies here. We keep a very clean place and recently invested in a Petairapy machine that sanitizes the air and all surfaces.

It's your business and I say do what you want. If people aren't happy with that policy, they can go elsewhere. My biggest concerns are bordatella which seems to never be effective and skin problems. Those I don't want in my house.

However, can I just say one thing... that I just thought of... my Lab that died in April of DCM could not get vaccinated because of his heart. So perhaps you could have some exceptions?

And I hope you do well in your business!!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Same here Brit
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    It's your business and I say do what you want. If people aren't happy with that policy, they can go elsewhere. My biggest concerns are bordatella which seems to never be effective and skin problems. Those I don't want in my house.

However, can I just say one thing... that I just thought of... my Lab that died in April of DCM could not get vaccinated because of his heart. So perhaps you could have some exceptions?

And I hope you do well in your business!!
    This is another reason why I want to require parvo and distemper. I want to be comfortable having those pets that can't be vaccinated in for grooming and not worried I'm going to infect them with poor policy practices/negligence. I'm not even opposed to titers. My main concern is the safety of my pets and others.

brit: I will look into that petairapy machine also. Sounds interesting

My job is a boarding facility so we require Rabies, DHLPP, and bordetella. We recommend influenza but currently do not require it. If they are coming for grooming we just require Rabies and DHLPP and recommend the others. We do accept titres and vet exemptions for health conditions.

I did work at a solon though where she disn't require anything. Ahe figured it wasn't her responsibility to be the "vaccine police" and if there was a bite incident delt with it case by case.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Rabies only for me.....at least require that in case you are ever bitten like I was. You will be glad you have that!

Rabies only but we need the pet owner to let us know where the records could be verified with their vet.