Default Most effective tools for deshedding.

I have some clients who get deshedded weekly. These are cats, long and short hair.
    No bath, just brushing.
    Which tools have you found to get the most fur off?
    Any particular tips for using a tool most effectively? Fast strokes, etc.?
    I use several different tools. I like the Buttercomb.
    Thank you.

Emma, I don't groom cats anymore but I do use a Equigroom deshed brush on my own short haired cat. Works like a champ and she loves it.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Cyn, that is what we use too.

yep that is a good one. For cats I am sure some would be too aggressive that work on dogs.

I am not a professional groomer, and I don't have any experience with cats, but a fair amount of experience with dogs and horses. I recently purchase an Andis, Small, Power De-shedder Comb and found that it works quite well on my dog. My collie (I have had collies for nearly 30 years!) seems to enjoy the very quiet vibration of the comb and the vibration helps move the comb thru the coat. Of course, the vibrator can be turned off. They are available on EBay, and for the price, may be worth a try. I'm guessing that the 2 inch size would be perfect for cats. Just a suggestion. The Equigroom appears to be a "cut-off" version of a de-shedding rake that I have used on my horses for years; the teeth look more coarse than what I would like to use on my dog - don't know about a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryR View Post
    I am not a professional groomer, and I don't have any experience with cats, but a fair amount of experience with dogs and horses. I recently purchase an Andis, Small, Power De-shedder Comb and found that it works quite well on my dog. My collie (I have had collies for nearly 30 years!) seems to enjoy the very quiet vibration of the comb and the vibration helps move the comb thru the coat. Of course, the vibrator can be turned off. They are available on EBay, and for the price, may be worth a try. I'm guessing that the 2 inch size would be perfect for cats. Just a suggestion. The Equigroom appears to be a "cut-off" version of a de-shedding rake that I have used on my horses for years; the teeth look more coarse than what I would like to use on my dog - don't know about a cat.
    Not being snarky but the andis battery powered deshedding is not very good at deshedding. The Equigroom is actually made for horses (I have a large one I use on my horses), but no the metal teeth are NOT to harsh for a dog or a cat (just need a lighter stroke than on horses or cattle).
    Last edited by Cyn; 09-30-18 at 07:37 AM.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

That's funny, I find it very effective on my collie, especially where the coat is shorter, like on the legs. Of course, I'm not doing this for a living, and time doesn't matter too much for me. As they say, YMMV! (Oh, what is "snarky?" )

I bought a small Equigroom. Tried it on a short-haired cat who swats at me if I Furminate or slicker brush her more than a few times.
    She enjoyed the Equi. Stuck her rear end up in the air. Still got fed up with me after a few minutes, but definitely liked it more than other tools. I get more fur off with the Zoon Groom or Furminator, but the Equi is a good option for the kitties who don't like being brushed.