Default BOCES and new but 'seasoned' student...intro and questions

I have just turned 50, my background is 25+ years of Veterinary experience, (unlicensed technician) including several years at a high volume 24 hour emergency hosp.

I have worked around groomers for many years, and done my share of clip downs. I'm familiar with grooming tools but not in a particularly formal way.

I currently groom my own pets, 5 little dogs total, 3 requiring cuts & 2 short coated.

I know what a #40 or #30 blade is for, I use the average corded A2 Oster with 5f, 4f or 7f for my pups....that is the extent of my knowledge =D

We dremel nails, vs. cutting & (all have black nails) though I am experienced in nail trims, ear cleaning, and of course baths. I have had my own pet sitting/dog walking business for the past 8 years. Low volume, personal service, I am the only person working in my company =)

With all that out of the way, I have questions that I'm sure you all in the industry can answer & I'm grateful for any help.

--I have enrolled in BOCES near my home, I'm starting with Grooming I, though I believe I have enough on the job training to start with level II. I want to start from the beginning, as I don't want to under-estimate all the necessary education. Opinions regarding BOCES training, please? I'm already enrolled, class starts this Tues, good bad or indifferent, all opinions welcomed.

I realize, after reading these boards, that I probably should go ahead & get a part time bather position & that is on the agenda, after I finish my due diligence =D

I also realize that continuing education and hands on experience is the name of the game, after formal training.

--Since I am a mature person, already indoctrinated into a fast pace animal related field, who is also very active & accustomed to spending my day on my feet, if you were looking for an entry level person, who is a self-starter, would you hire me or would you pass me by because of my experience?

Welcome to the board and new career, this is a great place to learn and ask questions. I don't know a lot of BOCES but have heard good things, and I think you are wise to start at level one.

You do have many more blades and clippers to learn about, a lot more so that should be covered. There are now many more advanced clippers, and you will find yourself using far less corded clippers most likely. Jeff at northerntails.com has lots of free maintenance articles for shears, clippers and blades. Most schools teach only the basics, and many groomers harm themselves not reading labels like on spray coolants, never breathe that stuff. Definitely read all his articles truly how to clean blades the right way. I went to a good school and only got 10% of what he covers.

Sure a bathing position is one of the best ways to start and you got it, keep taking courses or online streaming at learn2groomdogs.com. You should definitely own a copy of Dog Grooming Basics by Jody Murphy and Notes from the Grooming Table by Melissa Verplank.

Hi! What stuck out for me is the clippers and blades you are using, so much more but those are key. And the different type of shears. You will have a lot to learn there. Enjoy the courses!

Which Boces?
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

My former employer learned yeara ago how to groom at a BOCES program. She is a fabulous groomer and has owned her own business for 20+ years. I say go for it! Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out for you.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for the info!! LOL!! are my choices of blades old and goofy? heh, heh =D
    It might just be me, those are the blades I work with on my pups. They are mixed breed pups with funny coats and I generally just clip them down to a shorter version of themselves. No real styling, maybe that's why my selection of blades sound funny? I can't wait to learn all the different tools. having always been kind of a gadget junkie.

Kool Lube (what we used most frequently) isn't new to me, but OOOops...did NOT know breathing it in is something to be avoided =X thank you for that!!! We used to switch blades when they got too warm, but I'm excited to learn things from the very beginning. The groomer at my last place was very secretive about the reasons and principals behind certain things, so I"m thrilled at the idea of a proper education.

I'll be sure to get the recommended basics as well, after reading multiple posts, I am of the understanding that school is just the beginning. I've been watching learn2groomdogs.com and already have ideas for my own furry mutts in need of a trim.

I've used the search function and very few results came up regarding reviews of BOCES & google didn't reveal it's secrets about it either. Grooming I &II are about $2500 altogether not including tools, with a total of 150 hours for both classes. It seems the barest minimum. I'm on Long Island in NY, the BOCES is located in Westbury.

Quote Originally Posted by hookilau View Post
    Thanks for the info!! LOL!! are my choices of blades old and goofy? heh, heh =D
    It might just be me, those are the blades I work with on my pups. They are mixed breed pups with funny coats and I generally just clip them down to a shorter version of themselves. No real styling, maybe that's why my selection of blades sound funny? I can't wait to learn all the different tools. having always been kind of a gadget junkie.

Kool Lube (what we used most frequently) isn't new to me, but OOOops...did NOT know breathing it in is something to be avoided =X thank you for that!!! We used to switch blades when they got too warm, but I'm excited to learn things from the very beginning. The groomer at my last place was very secretive about the reasons and principals behind certain things, so I"m thrilled at the idea of a proper education.

I'll be sure to get the recommended basics as well, after reading multiple posts, I am of the understanding that school is just the beginning. I've been watching learn2groomdogs.com and already have ideas for my own furry mutts in need of a trim.

I've used the search function and very few results came up regarding reviews of BOCES & google didn't reveal it's secrets about it either. Grooming I &II are about $2500 altogether not including tools, with a total of 150 hours for both classes. It seems the barest minimum. I'm on Long Island in NY, the BOCES is located in Westbury.
    No you have the right blades but you will find others very helpful. But clippers today offer many more choice including the Excel and Wahl's.

I love being out of the corded clipper world almost entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by 4them View Post
    I love being out of the corded clipper world almost entirely.
    Tell me more please =D I am a pet owner, not a groomer......yet =D
    I'm sure in time it'll all make sense to me, but I'm anxious to know, everything sounds so cryptic to me right now, haha.

This is the only clipper I've ever used, so I went with a safe bet (a very basic A5 2 speed) since I needed to replace my old one. Recommendations would be great, hope that's not too broad of a subject. About the blades, they are all I I've ever use for my pets, and since grooming classes start tomorrow, I thought I'd get my kit together once I had someone to discuss options with.

To be clear, this isn't my planned 'professional' kit, just my personal kit for my pups. Of my doggies to be clipped, I have a yorkie/apbt X, a maltese apbt X and a funny looking silky or X of some such terrier.

None have ever been to a groomer or groomer's shop. Well, except for the silky, I was told by his previous peeps that he got tossed out of his grooming shop because he was acting like a head case. When I first adopted him, he was super overgrown and looked like that weird Honeycomb cereal mascot thing. Having worked with him over the years, I've been able to clip him down regularly so he didn't look so wild but still, cuts are utilitarian. He bites the clipper and is very touchy about his mouth and whiskers unless I use shears. To be honest, when I first saw him, the state of his coat told me all I needed to know about his grooming hx, so I knew what I was getting in to.

But I digress, tell me about a beginner groomer's kit please =D

I have a Homer Box with all basic stuff for my doggies, would be interested to hear what you all recommend for an aspiring groomer's kit.