Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you deal with the dogs that's scream for no reason Whatsoever?

So I'm grooming a little shihtzu, she's a young dog with no health or joint issues and is usually a little fussy for grooming,. She plonks her bum down on the table so I put my hand under her tum to lift her back in to standing and all of a sudden starts screaming like I've chopped a leg off. Boss Comes up and has a bit of do as clients coukd hear downstairs (but coukd see I wasn't doing anything) and told me to muzzle her. I did, not that it made an ounce of difference.

Any way she settles down. So i move to trim her eyes. A d que the screaming. All I did was gently Hold her chin, no real grip, so it wasn't like it was tug of war or anything. And I can t muzzle her to trim her face.

So my question is how do you deal with these, kind of dogs that scream for no apparent reason??

I'm just feeling a little disheartened right now.

Have you talked with the owner about this? Does she do this at home? It's possible she may have some disc issues and may actually be in pain.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I'm currently dealing with the same thing right now. Have suggested booking the dog in more often, and at a time where it can be alone, but as of yet we will see. I have also recommended brushing and combing at home, but that does require that they follow through. So far no progress made, and is stressful for sure.

Before we sold our business, we groomed a "schnoodle" for around 10 years...he screamed from the time his owner dropped him off until he left. We never could break him of it, we tried so many tactics, nothing worked. His owner was aware of his issues, and apologized every time the dog walked in the door. Funny though, when we boarded him, he was a perfect angel.

Yeah.... It screams at home, usually when they try and get it to do stuff it doesn't want to do. They had a full health check on it and got a behaviourist in who said she's basically having a strop and was told to ignore tge behaviour and continue with ever they need to do. But. They were getting noise complaints because of her screaming so they had to stop. So doggo learns that if she screams the owners stop what ever they are doing

Good luck. She's learned that screaming works. You may be able to work through it as long as you are consistent and don't stop when she screams.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Maybe try a little p-nut butter on the roof of her mouth. Hard to scream when you're licking! Or, p-nut butter on your grooming post to give her something to do besides yell.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I groom a dog like this too.....I now wear my gun shooting ear protectors while he is in my shop. He drives me crazy and the owner even agrees that he is bonkers.

The peanut butter tactic may help. Have a few that Iíve just held until the finally exhaust themselves with screaming and the. We go on. But Iíve had the fortunate luxury of being able to take that type of time with some of these divas and divos.

Oh to build out one of those silent room's admin talks about.

I have one screamer. He is a big Westie and mom knows he is neurotic. I canít even pick up the phone and talk because he screams right next to me. I really hate to groom nervous/psycho/neurotic dogs whatever you call because people hear that and think I am abusing or torturing..... people are becoming weird and so are dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by workingchihuahua View Post
    Good luck. She's learned that screaming works. You may be able to work through it as long as you are consistent and don't stop when she screams.
    This^^^^I don't know how young she is but puppies yip, or cry out when playing with litter mates to signal, "Hey! That's to ruff!" (Not saying your being ruff when grooming) I have even "yipped" intentionally myself when dealing with mouthy puppies. Once they learn that the reaction to the stimulus soliciates a desired response they'll just keep doing it.

Just have to try to recondition the behaviour. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. I would recommend a trainer to the clients though and see if they could be of assistance. Good luck!
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast