Default Your dog is really hard to do.

This owner has her mom bring in her three dogs, one of which is a new addition - an very tiny toy poodle maybe 2 lbs wet. At first the grooms were okay, but as she gets older she has become a nightmare on the table. Thrashing and screaming for almost everything. I had been sending updates home through the mom, but not sure if my advice was being delivered/taken seriously. Daughter works the same hours as me, and is hard to get a hold of. Anyway, last time I managed to get her shaved down with a 5F (too tangled and wouldn't let me brush), and once again let them know I'm doing the best I can (with help of another groomer even), and hopefully the daughter would be okay with the cut, but to have her call me with any questions. Well today the mom drops off with a request from the daughter for a fluffy "lamb cut" on the toy poodle. Once again explained that she may have to go short, depending on temperament, and ended up being so bad I only got her half done. Well was the one day the daughter came to pick up up too, great! So talked to her about proper brushing at home, which she says she does (and yet has mats?), and that I'd be willing to schedule her in more frequently to help the dog get better with grooming. Left with a "I'll have to think about it", and no re-booking for any of the dogs, which all otherwise looked lovely in their longer winter length.

I'm not sure if I'm reading into it too much, but I'm pretty open and honest, so not sure why I got the cold shoulder. Doesn't happen too often, but some owners just seem to ignore any concern I bring up until it's a real problem.

I have noticed many of my dogs become harder to groom as they age. I'm sure they have pain from arthritis probably, and those with vision loss are scared! There has come a time in my business that I no longer felt it safe to groom some dogs.....for them or me. You may have reached that point with this little dog. The owner is expecting too much at this stage of it's life. It may have come to the point of a "comfort" groom rather than a "beauty" groom. The owner doesn''t care if you put yourself at risk hurting her dog and then being responsible for a vet bill. You may have to tell her can no longer groom this dog at some point when it becomes unsafe, and you may have to explain that you can only do a "comfort" groom which means get the mats off and trim what you can no matter what it looks like. Best Wishes

Some folks refuse to accept responsibility for the condition their pets are in. Deciding the groomer is incompetent or unresponsive to their requests is so much easier.
    "I'll have to think about it" is pretty much code for "looking for a new groomer. One who won't keep shaving down my Precious". She hasn't burned her bridges with you, so after trying another place or two she may be back. I suggest you have a very frank discussion with her about what is best for Precious before you accept her back as a client.

Your description of Precious' behavior worries me though. Sounds like she is either a really determined little control freak, or seriously frightened. Either way, tinies are so horribly fragile.
    Particentral recently wrote a blog about doing no harm when faced with outlandishly behaved dogs. NOT suggesting you were abusive, just saying it is a really thought provoking read.

And I feel for you. Nothing about the situation is fun.

Some owners refuse to accept that skimming a standard hairbrush over the top of the coat does not successfully brush their dog.
    If they come back - keep trying. If they do somewhere else ( and daughter may try) they’ll either find someone with more time or who gets a better response from the dog ——-or the dog will get shaved with a #10 blade and the owner will be back to you. Both have happened in my past.
    Some owners see our request for more frequent grooms as s money grab rather then a necessity for the pet. You know what you were saying so again , don’t take it personally.

Should clarify too that this is not a old dog, but still under a few years old. I agree though, the way she acts is so weird, and not making any improvements even though they come every 6-8 weeks. I guess I don't feel like I was as firm with the owner as I could be, since I got the vibe that she wouldn't have cared or listened. I'll probably have to turn down the toy poodle, and hope she still brings the other two. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so still trying to train myself to accept that I can't do it all.

Like Honey said, don't take it personally. You are only half of the solution. No matter how well you do, the owners have to do their part. If you are determined to "rehab" this toy poodle, you need full cooperation of the owner. Which is not going to happen, from what it sounds. And don't be surprised if you lose all three of the dogs. Don't beat yourself over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ABDG View Post
    Like Honey said, don't take it personally. You are only half of the solution. No matter how well you do, the owners have to do their part. If you are determined to "rehab" this toy poodle, you need full cooperation of the owner. Which is not going to happen, from what it sounds. And don't be surprised if you lose all three of the dogs. Don't beat yourself over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni89 View Post
    Should clarify too that this is not a old dog, but still under a few years old. I agree though, the way she acts is so weird, and not making any improvements even though they come every 6-8 weeks. I guess I don't feel like I was as firm with the owner as I could be, since I got the vibe that she wouldn't have cared or listened. I'll probably have to turn down the toy poodle, and hope she still brings the other two. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so still trying to train myself to accept that I can't do it all.
    Well if you do turn them down, perhaps you could recommend a mobile groomer to see if the dog is better groomed on its territory. I kinda doubt it, but worth a try.