Thread: Grooms for Less

Naahh Grooms for Less

We have a new groomer in town, and that is her entire marketing program in 3 words. She has a sign on her personal car, a sign at her shop, that's the name of the business even.

Well that could be a great thing, they will do the price shoppers.

I say ‘good for her’ too. She wants to and can fill a niche, and there is always someone that needs that niche.
    Just like you see the cheap gas station right across the street from the expensive gas station, or the Supercuts hair salon right down the street from the fancy salon. They all seem to stay in business just fine.

Years ago I learned how to figure out how to calculate what I need to make an hour to stay in business. At the seminar I learned that at, it was also stressed that we have no idea what the groomer down the street needs to make to stay in business.

We all live different lives and have different needs. Some people are single parents, some have partners that contribute to the household income, some have mortgages, some have houses that are paid off, some have college loans to pay, some are helping finance ailing parents.
    So many factors can contribute to what they decide they need to charge to make a living.

You’ll do just fine. It can be a little scary, but you’ll be fine.

I agree, dogma.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I have found that the clientele you get for low price grooming makes running a business more stressful. Are they going to join an appt schedule system? Hardly. Most of my clientele are year round regulars. Even Christmas is already 80% booked. I would expect, but not exclusively, a bit more of those types that make scenes to get discounts or free grooms too. Back to regulars, nothing make this trade better than regulars, in an appt program. The dogs are easier to groom at least from condition. Heck low price grooming I would suspect irregular conditions of the coat between grooms. Life as a groomer is so much better with regulars that pay fair competitive range prices.

We had a craigslist groomer work out of her home, $25 to $35 for any dog. She didn't last long and got a job at a shop.

I find it actually gives me an out, to have a cheaper groomer to send price shoppers to. Have actually had people haggle me over my prices.