Default Behaviour change after grooming help!!!!

I took my 1 year old shih tzu Colin, to be groomed and because he had become very matted he was shaved. He was an extremely happy and energetic little boy, after his shaved grooming on Friday he now wont leave his basket, his tail seems to be constantly irritating him and he chasing it around and around, He wont walk anywhere and looks generally depressed. I am so upset I am crying constantly, I feel I have done something so bad he wont get back to his normal self. Need some advice and help please.

Use the following link and click on the article. "When your pet needs a smoothie"

http://goochiepoochiesparesort.com/articles.php
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

A couple of things that you wrote sent up red flags to me:

1). Sounds like he wasn't on a regular grooming schedule...this breed should be groomed every 4-6-8 weeks, so he won't be traumatized and matted when you do take him to the salon.
    2). If his tail had to be shaved, then he probably is experiencing some difference in weight of the tail, and possibly some skin irritation. Regular grooming will prevent severe matting of the tail.
    3). You crying in front of him is probably increasing his anxiety.....so stop crying, .....he is probably in better condition now than he has been in a long time.
    4). Put a leash on him and go for a happy walk
    5). Get him on a regular grooming schedule

Happy not crying over the groom

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

First off, shame on you for allowing him to become matted so badly he had to be shaved.
    Second, he is feeding off your energy....your upet so he feels he has done something bad.
    Third, his tail and butt area might be irratated from HAVING to be clipped so short (again your fault for allowing the matting)
    So let's see.....he is feeling a breeze where there has been no air for a while, and he thought he was handsome until he fed off your negative energy.
    My suggestion for now is to let loose of your negative energy, tell him how handsome he is......act normal, he will too soon. Make a set schedule with the groomer to have him groomed every 4 to 6 weeks (starting now, even though the next groom might just be a bath and tidy). Make a point of keeping the set schedule of having him groomed. And of course keep him brushed at least one a week and follow up with a metal toothed comb to make sure you are getting all the way to the skin, not just brushing top layer. Start this now ( with a soft brush of course) and he will be very use to being brushed by the time his hair grows out. Both of you will be happier with this arrangement.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

As hard as it may be, change your mood. Eat a healthy snack, drink some tea if that makes you feel better, take a walk, watch a funny show. Then, after your emotions have settled down, do an assessment.
    1. is he eating, drinking, pooping and peeing, in his normal manner?
    2. When he walks, does he walk in a normal way? Not limping or swaying?
    3. Inspect his body. Any cuts, burns or new bumps?
    4. Look at his teeth, if you can. Red around the gums? Bad breath?
    The reason I suggest this is that his behavior may have nothing to do with grooming. He may or may not have health issues that happen to have become visible now.

I agree with what has been said. Could it be an anal gland issue? More likely it's because he now has cold air on his bottom that he never had before. It feels weird to him.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    A couple of things that you wrote sent up red flags to me:

1). Sounds like he wasn't on a regular grooming schedule...this breed should be groomed every 4-6-8 weeks, so he won't be traumatized and matted when you do take him to the salon.
    2). If his tail had to be shaved, then he probably is experiencing some difference in weight of the tail, and possibly some skin irritation. Regular grooming will prevent severe matting of the tail.
    3). You crying in front of him is probably increasing his anxiety.....so stop crying, .....he is probably in better condition now than he has been in a long time.
    4). Put a leash on him and go for a happy walk
    5). Get him on a regular grooming schedule

Happy not crying over the groom

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    Sorry, Colin.. but you as the owner are responsible for keeping your dog in good condition. Not us as groomers. We can only do so much. I totally agree with Dolly has said, all five things.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    First off, shame on you for allowing him to become matted so badly he had to be shaved.
    Second, he is feeding off your energy....your upet so he feels he has done something bad.
    Third, his tail and butt area might be irratated from HAVING to be clipped so short (again your fault for allowing the matting)
    So let's see.....he is feeling a breeze where there has been no air for a while, and he thought he was handsome until he fed off your negative energy.
    My suggestion for now is to let loose of your negative energy, tell him how handsome he is......act normal, he will too soon. Make a set schedule with the groomer to have him groomed every 4 to 6 weeks (starting now, even though the next groom might just be a bath and tidy). Make a point of keeping the set schedule of having him groomed. And of course keep him brushed at least one a week and follow up with a metal toothed comb to make sure you are getting all the way to the skin, not just brushing top layer. Start this now ( with a soft brush of course) and he will be very use to being brushed by the time his hair grows out. Both of you will be happier with this arrangement.
    Yes.. to everything Cyn has said. I feel kind of bad that you came on here and expected something completely different from us. I'm sure you'll probably read this and feel even worse, but it is NOT our job as professionals to take care of YOUR dog. It is our responsibility to groom your dog and do so in as kind a manner as we can and do the best job we can. None of us like shaving a dog down. We'd much prefer to do a longer cut on a dog like yours and make it look really stellar!! I have Siberian cats. They are triple coated.. thick triple coats. It is MY responsibility to maintain their coats during the week. I brush AND comb them to make sure they are tangle free. My cats also get bathed on a fairly regular schedule, usually every 5-6 weeks. They might get a bath sooner if hineys get a bit dirty. My dogs are bathed weekly. Yes.. weekly. Nails are done every 2 weeks. Except the puppy, he's on a daily dremel session. What I'm saying with my cats, is if I can brush and comb my cats 3 times a week, you can brush your dog the same. Dogs are much easier to train than cats. If you can't do this, hire a professional trainer to help you and your dog.

It's hair and it will grow. Start taking responsibility for the breed you bought, get some books, buy a decent brush and good metal comb. I know this wasn't the help or advice you were looking for, but it's not our responsibility to hold your hand and soothe your wounded soul when you let this happen.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

'Colin's mom', you've gotten some good advice, but sorry that it sounded so negative. What no one has mentioned is your shih tzu is just a year old. This breed goes through a big coat change from puppy coat to adult coat. During this change that I'm sure your dog is going through, they can literally mat overnight. I'm sure you've also been bathing him, too. Any tangles in the coat will become a solid mat when dry without proper brushing and combing. I'm sure your groomer would be delighted to show you the right brush and comb to use and show you how to use them. You sound like a concerned pet owner, and when you know better, you'll for sure do better!
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I'm a little bit shocked by the tone here. Would you talk to a client in this manner???

It is possible that the pup has some irritation along with the removal of the hair. He should see a vet if that is the case. Getting him on a good schedule is important. But that is secondary to the issue at hand.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Thank you Parti. I was a bit surprised too. We all must have had a tough week and are a little ‘short’ with our answers.

Colin’s Mom. Keep in mind that ‘the groomer’ often gets ‘blamed’ for anything that ‘goes wrong’ right after a groom. We try so hard and we get the wagging finger. Of course things can happen at a shop. Of course your dog will feel different now that he’s naked. And of course we can help you. You just didn’t know.

Oops. I have to get ready for work. As everyone knows here my posts can go on-and-on.
    In the mean time, take him for some fun walks, let him sleep if he wants. Just treat him like you did when he had hair.

I’ll be back later. I hope you didn’t get discouraged and won’t come back. I know how it is to be the guy that “just doesn’t know”. I’m that person in a computer store. I’m sure when I walk in the staff is saying “oh God. A little old lady. It’s your turn to deal with her”. (No, it’s your turn....No, I got the last one it’s your turn. Paper, Rock, Scissors? Oh Jeeze . I lost. See you in an hour. Heavy sigh)