Oops Mobile grooms and decreased expectations from the owners ....

I always assumed mobile groomers would be superior in the product they put out. Say maybe a few years ago I noticed this to be true, but lately I've been looking at the used mobile ads and check out their websites and boy o boy. This most certainly is NOT the case. I notice here in Orlando mobile prices are barely above shop prices and the grooming seems inferior, I attribute this to the masses switching to mobilers. Because they want the convenience of mobile and the pricing is weak, they are accepting inferior grooming.

Is this the case for your area? I'm serious when I tell you EVERYONE I tell I'm a groomer to, invariably asks about if I'm a mobiler. The trend undoubtedly in my area of town is to mobilers. More power to the newbies going straight to mobile. My shop is still stationary but I see the writing on the wall for groomers starting out, Go mobile. It's just expensive to start.

Of course there are EXCEPTIONAL mobile groomers also. I've just noticed a trend towards everyone wanting a mobile groomer to their house, and new graduates are starting in mobile and let's just say the quality isn't there yet but their lower prices reflect this and they are filling a market who won't pay top dollar.

If I were a groomer just starting out, I would go mobile. If you live in a large metropolitan area, rents are too high for a single groomer to be successful-especially one just starting their career. Back in the early 90s, there was a woman on talk radio named Faith Popcorn (don't know if that was her real name) talking about her 'Popcorn Theory'. She said more and more people in the future would be staying at home and wanting services coming to them. I can see that happening. I use a grocery delivery service, and many major chains are starting to offer that service. Mobile vets, groomers, fix your car, cut your hair, etc. I think she was on to something.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I hear you, Kurt. Same thing further south. Mobile groomers sitting in traffic every time I’m out. My neighbors aand friends telling me all about ‘ those people who come right to your house to groom in a truck’. They think that it would be so much nicer for me to work that way ‘instead of driving all that way (15 miles)’ to the animal clinic. BUT, I drive twice a day in the south Florida/Fort Lauderdale/ Miami area father then spending hours each day going through the the traffic of accidents, constant construction , schools, trains and bridges—you name it.
    Anyhow, I’ve seen a few good grooms but mostly a mess of hack jobs. The most recent one was a lovely Havanese that we’d had in a pseudo Asian style. The owners wanted to use a mobile since the dog was aging and would get stressed coming to the clinic for groooming. The poor thing came by for an annual,and the lines were all off, the head was crooked, the legs unbalanced. She looked like a weeed hacker had been used on her.
    Another came in recently with a skin issue- bacterial infection. Owner said she’d used a new mobile groomer and the pet came back smelling ‘funky’ and then started scratching uncontrollably. The following g week another dog came in- from the same gated island community- with bacterial skin infection. Only commonality was the mobile groomer. Seems they weren’t cleaning put the water tanks and sanitizing properly and spreading bacteria. The person operating the van disappeared after being confronted by the owners. So, in addition to poor grooming skills there’s a plethora of poor hygiene sense as well.

Being mobile doesn't mean a better groomer. I read the ads for help and I notice mobile companies are constantly advertising openings. Some will accept graduates right out of school. We all know right out of school grads need a lot more experience. and probably have never even groomed quite a few breeds. But if that is all some of these employers can find, I bet they take chances to stay in business. And I wonder how many mobile groomers new to it know how to properly sanitize and disinfect?

I have learned never to expect mobile groomers are any better at grooming. In fact, right out of school I know some that start businesses with a fixer upper starter. No one right out of school IMHO is ready to be an all around, any breed groomer. But it is a cheap way to get into business compared to opening a shop at least most of the time.