https://napavalleyregister.com/busin...9cbf47c8e.html

“I always loved animals,” said Taryn Rose Ramirez, owner of Taryn’s Traveling Pet Spa.

Ramirez said she comes from a family of business owners, and after hearing about the growth of the mobile dog grooming business, she was intrigued.

“It seemed natural to me to work with animals,” she said.

Because Ramirez is deaf, one initial obstacle was finding a training school that offered ASL interpreters.

After finding and graduating from a school in Los Angeles, “I came back to Napa and wrote a business plan and researched mobile vans,” she said.

“I was fortunate to have a family member help me get my first loan. I was able to pay that first van off in five years and have since bought two more.

1. What was your first job?

Feed This Inc. in Sebastopol was a company that made natural foods for dogs. Funny thing was that I was a sous chef for dog food. LOL.

2. What’s the worst job you ever had?

Cleaning my room as a child.

3. What’s a common question you get at your business?

People have asked if my husband (who is also deaf) knows when a dog is uncomfortable or cries.

Of course we do. I think we feel a dog’s emotions very well. And we care so much about every animal. Being deaf is not a handicap in this business. I think it’s a good time in history to be deaf because even the elderly can text and email.

4. What is the largest and smallest animal you’ve ever groomed?

Largest: Horses. One of the first things you learn when you take horseback riding (lessons) is to bathe and groom a horse. They love being brushed and getting their mane and tail brushed.

Smallest: A little 2-lb.Yorkie. Super cute but we need to be so careful.

5. What’s the hardest animal to groom or trim?

Big dogs that are nervous.

Our vans are high tech and the tables lift and lower but if a big Pyrenees doesn’t want to stand or move it can be very difficult. We are alone in our vans so it can be tricky. In a shop you could call another groomer for help.

6. What is the biggest challenge your business has faced?

Too many requests for mobile grooming! We now have four groomers and we still can’t keep up with the demand. People love their animals and they love that we do one-on-one grooming.

7. What’s something people might be surprised to know about you?

I am profoundly deaf and I have a twin brother who is hearing. I am not very social, pretty shy really, and he is super social (and) talks to anyone.

The funny and interesting thing is that we both are having babies this fall, less than one month apart. We are opposites in so many ways, but yet so connected.

8. What job would you like to try/not try?

Try: I would like to teach deaf children to ride horses. I always loved these large animals and I don’t think many deaf children get the opportunity to learn about large animals. I was lucky to have a Mom that gave me so many opportunities as a child, riding horses was just one.

Not try: I would not want to be a chef. I am not very adventurous about food and would rather someone else cooked for me. Thank God I married a man that likes to cook!

9. What’s on your to-do list?

To give birth to this healthy boy I am carrying and raise him to be a good man.

10. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?

With my wonderful husband, Levi, traveling and having fun.