Default Sad last 7 days.

Last Wednesday I was gobsmacked by a text from a friend telling me her dog died that day. Dog was rescued last year, healthy, happy, no health issues. Apparently had a massive coronary while she was at work. Dog walker found per by front door when she came to take it out.
    Yesterday had a call from a client who was visiting family in St Louis. His 6 yo toy poodle started sieIng after he arrived at the family home following the flight- her heart gave out after 6 hours. Heís devastated since she was his life - and emotional support animal.
    Itís hard when itís so sudden. Iím ready to hear about some of my clients but not the younger ones.

Yeah, there are ones I give an extra hug and say a mental goodbye to each time I see them. But there's no way to prepare when it comes so out of the blue. So sorry for your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
    Last Wednesday I was gobsmacked by a text from a friend telling me her dog died that day. Dog was rescued last year, healthy, happy, no health issues. Apparently had a massive coronary while she was at work. Dog walker found per by front door when she came to take it out.
    Yesterday had a call from a client who was visiting family in St Louis. His 6 yo toy poodle started sieIng after he arrived at the family home following the flight- her heart gave out after 6 hours. Heís devastated since she was his life - and emotional support animal.
    Itís hard when itís so sudden. Iím ready to hear about some of my clients but not the younger ones.
    Oh that's terrible.. and I'm so sorry for them. Like me losing my Petey boy on Christmas Day. Talk about a shocker.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Oh deasue, thatís a terrible time. Iím so sorry.

It never gets easy...the longer you groom, the more often you have to deal with the sad news. I had my salon for over five years now, most of my customers are older people, with older dogs, and my file of departed dogs is growing thicker. And customers, too. Seems that last couple of years, many lost their spouses, or the relative called me to say that owner of the dog passed away and to please cancel the next appointment (I am always amazed that with all they have to deal with after a death of a loved one, they still remembered the dog groomer).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry Daesue, I rescued a wonderful 5 year old once and I could tell she had endured some hard years. I know I gave her 3 good years but in a week her glands swelled and it was cancer. It hurt a lot, and later I settled that I did give her 3 years of love over the top.

Sorry to hear that Iím in the same boat losing more dogs to death or owner death or moving.
    Canít replace them fast enough, any advice out there is very appreciated.

Don't say you cannot accept any more clients as much as possible. Even if you have to work a little extra OT. I expect to lose about 5% to 10% of my clientele a year. 10 may be a little high but there are bad sad teary years.

It is the saddest part of our job, but it really is part of life. I can only give a hug to them to help.

It really is. The cycle of life. I shed tears with the owners some time. But I am sure the pets are fine. Soon another dog deserving of a great owner is going to experience a miracle and end up in my shop. So my heart has gone full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by 4them View Post
    Don't say you cannot accept any more clients as much as possible. Even if you have to work a little extra OT. I expect to lose about 5% to 10% of my clientele a year. 10 may be a little high but there are bad sad teary years.
    So true! I briefly contemplated changing my voice mail message to saying we are not accepting new customers, but so many of my customers are old (both dogs and humans), I expect to lose a few of them, sadly.

But it's the ones you didn't expect that hurt most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk