Default Smooth Coat Tools

Shedding out the smooth coated dogs has always stumped me. I have tried a hound glove, zoom groom, yuppie puppy, carding knives, nothing satisfies me.
    Then one day I noticed how much hair remained on my hand after petting my son's damp german shorthair. Lightbulb!
    So now on the short smoothies I use my cheapest, yet most valuable tool-my hands! After a quick towel off I simply pet them dry, keeping a towel there for wiping the hair off my hands. The dogs love being petted, and it's so nice to do a noise-free groom once in a while!

I am still searching for a brush that will help with the long smooth coated shedder I do though. The zoom groom works fairly well when he is dry, but it seems like it annoys him, and it's nowhere near as effective as using my hands in the tub. As I work my fingers over him in a circular method, like you would a curry, the hair just springs off of him. But unlike the petting dry method where I am using a flat relaxed hand, this requires more pressure and finger abuse which I would like to get away from. This dog comes to me specifically for help with the shedding. Apparently it falls out of him at home, but here it needs coaxing. Open to any suggestions whether it be tools or methods.

I use a rubber curry comb in a circular motion when soaped up in the tub, then use water force to push out all loose hair, towel dry very well (a couple of towels). After fan drying, I then use an Equigroom to remove any other loose hair.....but there is very little loose hair after above method.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I use a rubber curry as well but after the bath and dry. Works great.

Absolutely and comfortable for dogs, the rubber curry.

Oh and conditioner. Always conditioner even for the short coats.

The problem with this is that the oild from your hands get on the coat. It is not generally a huge problem for short coats but it can be an issue. If you use a lot of lotions or barrier creams you are transferring those to the dogs coat, so be aware.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Thank you all for suggestions. Regarding the petting dry method, I don't use any lotions or creams, plus I always do some scrubbing by hand during the bath. Definitely something to remember though if I ever start taking better care of myself!
    As for the other dog, I can mentally count 4 curry type brushes I have purchased, been frustrated with, and tossed. I had horses for years, so am comfortable with a curry and how to use it, but somehow that I do not understand, it does not seem to be very effective on this particular dog. He is by far my most frustrating groom.

Have you tried a shedding blade? Looks exactly like a metal curry comb. Follow that with a fine tooth comb after the bath.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    Have you tried a shedding blade? Looks exactly like a metal curry comb. Follow that with a fine tooth comb after the bath.
    This is what a Equigroom brush is....except it is an updated version, I love mine on short haired breeds, my cat and my horse (I have several)
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.