Default Grooming school? Orlando, FL

I am located in Christmas, Fl which is in the Orlando area close to Oviedo and Titusville. I am wanting to learn dog grooming to pursue my dream of owning my own business one day. I have looked at Merryfield School but that would be a 3 hour drive to and from each class. I have also found a school near me called dog Groomerís academy but they do not offer financial aid and itís quite expensive. They are also not accredited in anyway like Merryfield. I need some advice and options on what I can do to get my foot in the door and start my education. I really want hands on training as I feel that will give me the best knowledge but Iím limited in my area as there isnít any schools near me but 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I have taken my course from AbbFabb Academy of Dog Grooming Training in UK, it is a great academy which offers tailor-made training which include a City and Guilds qualification. Unfortunately I won't be able to guide you much in your location but yes, if you have any friends in UK who wants to take up Dog grooming as a career option, I would suggest AbbFabb Academy. For more information you can visit https://www.doggroomingtraining.co.uk/

Thank you I will

Quote Originally Posted by tim26 View Post
    Hi, I have taken my course from AbbFabb Academy of Dog Grooming Training in UK, it is a great academy which offers tailor-made training which include a City and Guilds qualification. Unfortunately I won't be able to guide you much in your location but yes, if you have any friends in UK who wants to take up Dog grooming as a career option, I would suggest AbbFabb Academy. For more information you can visit https://www.doggroomingtraining.co.uk/
    Thank you I will pass that along to anyone I know Iím that area.

When I first went to school it was a hardship for 8 weeks. There are not many other solutions when you don't have a school near you. Perhaps you can get corporate store to provide training?

Okay... so I think I'm right, but accredited means nothing in dog grooming as far as schools. If I'm wrong, then someone correct me. Accreditation means that it is nationally recognized by a group of ???? So say the course you are taking like a university class.. means that the school has some sort of national recognition. So a school that meets a certain set of standards, like a chiropractic school. In order to practice as a chiropractor you need to be licensed. There is no licensing in dog grooming, so it doesn't matter where you get your education. There are many self taught groomers, many who have gone to school, many who have been mentored or tutored in a private salon.

When I wanted to become a dog groomer, I really looked at the pros and cons of online schools vs a salon vs a grooming school. The only grooming school at the time was an hour away and the cost was pretty high. Since then, there is one that has opened up in San Diego. One box store wouldn't hire me, I don't know if it was an age thing or what? I could have done the other one.. shoulda woulda coulda comes into play. I came out of a grocery store one day and there before my eyes was a sign.. "DOG GROOMING SCHOOL NOW OPEN!!" So, I called this salon and for a mere price (hahahah) I could get 12 weeks of basic dog grooming at this salon. And now I find that was totally illegal, what she did. I should have been paid for my time instead of paying her. And boy, it was just the basics. It was 12 weeks of super hard work and for that I'm grateful. I got my tips rudely taken away from me, again I'm grateful because I re-learned some lessons lol. Oh wait, those were lessons I learned in my early 20's after completing my 1600 hours of schooling, taking one hard day long test and getting licensed as a cosmetologist and working in a salon and having my tips stolen by the receptionist.. I sound bitter hahahahha.

Yes, hands on is the best way. But that doesn't mean that the school you choose is going to give you good lessons. Anyway, first time around I learned how to use skip tooth blades and give an excellent bath. Then I got a job, that I think I lasted 2 weeks? The towels were washed once a week (gag) and I kept getting "things" taken away from me. Like I got "sanitaries" taken away from me, then pads, then nail trimming. ??? I figured the route I was going they were going to take shampoo away, then water lol. But in 2 weeks, I learned how to hv and fluff dry. I had that dryer ripped out of my hands more times in 2 weeks than I ever said. I smiled for 2 weeks and in my head every time the owner yelled NO NO NO... I said yes yes yes lol. Then I went to work at another place.. and I might have this reversed... anyway, I started on a Mother's Day because yeah, they wanted the salon open 7 days a week. I should have looked at the bathroom before I said yes to being hired. My plan was (since to this day they always need groomers) to do 100 dogs and be out of there. I really had no experience.. so I think this job came first... with purebreds, just mixed breeds. The first dog they gave me was a poodle and I mucked the top knot up lol. Then they gave me a Schnauzer and I got out Notes from the Table and got fired in the middle of that dog. That was a priceless experience lol. I almost threw up when I went to use the bathroom. Note to anyone.. check out the toilet when applying for a job. Then I went to work for myself and just built on what I knew, which wasn't much.. but I could give a great bath, do shave downs and I watched whatever vid was out there. I bought a lot of them. I went to a couple of seminars.. but I don't have the patience to sit through them. I need to watch things at my own speed. I applied to a bunch of places, but I should have applied for a bather job not as a groomer. I don't know if again, it was my age but I couldn't get hired.. except for the places that are always looking.

After I had opened my little home salon, I worked with a small dog rescue. She'd pull the dogs and bring them to me straight from the shelter. Sick, injured.. we did what we could. I learned a lot and practiced on a lot of dogs. I'm grateful to this rescue lady and in my learning I taught her to groom. I was very careful though, in changing my clothes and shoes so as not to bring KC and other diseases into my home.

Okay.. so back to accreditation. No need as far as I think. Certification means NOTHING from a dog grooming school. NOTHING. I could print up my own certificate and say I'm certified. (or certifiable hahahahah) There are 3 organizations that are nationally recognized for certification. This is not like cosmetology. There is no licensing in any state.. unless NY and NJ have changed that??? I'm unsure of that. The lack of licensing is a problem but the biggest hurdle for me to the LACK of licensing is that because we AREN'T licensed, manufactures are not required by law, to list ingredients on most pet grooming stuff, like shampoo and conditioners! Whereas that is required, by law, on human products.

So there are 3 dog grooming certification organizations... 5 if you include the two cat grooming ones.

I don't even know what my advice is to you. You could find yourself in a shop that is somewhat abusive to the animals or quite abusive to the animals. You could find a horrible boss. You might get lucky and find a great salon with a great mentor. Thieves are everywhere. But so are good people. I'm just trying to be brutally honest here. If you could just do it... go to one of the box stores and start there. And watch some vids.. check out the blogs on this site as well. Lots of good information. I have learned a lot from Grooming Smarter. A lot of the safety, to me, is common sense, and I think that comes from mothering and grandmothering points of view. I never leave a dog unattended on the table or in the tub. I try to think of that dog on my table as if it were one of my grandchildren. Precious, precious beings. I have injured dogs and it kills me every time. Get insurance from Governor's because they cover injuries. Get health insurance, even if it is a cheap plan. If you work for someone, make sure they have Workman's Comp. Oh.. that was one thing I learned from the place with the dirty toilet the fired me in the middle of the Schnauzer lol.. being paid is a PITA! It's either under the table because they don't want to pay taxes or confusing. Hourly plus commission?? At the place with the dirty towels, I was paid hourly and not much.

And read my motto lol.. because I truly mean it. Don't let ANYONE stomp on your dreams.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.