Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I need help with pattern lines

Per my mentor, I need some help tweaking pattern lines before I will be ready for technicals. Any and all critiques welcome. I appreciate all comments but I REALLY need help improving so I can get ready for technicals, so please don't be shy to say whay you think. ; ) TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

I love the way you did a nice collage. Some of these are really nice.

I don’t understand what you mean by pattern on the cocker it looks like a shave down and the last schnauzer looks nice but has face lines that I believe are not to code but I see a lot of groomers doing. What do u mean by technicals. Is this for some natl certification or is it for your place of business or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by lillypeanut View Post
    I don’t understand what you mean by a pattern on the cocker it looks like a shave down and the last schnauzer looks nice but has face lines that I believe are not to code but I see a lot of groomers doing. What do u mean by technicals? Is this for some natl certification or is it for your place of business or something else.
    Thank you for asking. To clarify, it is for my technical exams with ISCC to be a Certified Professional Groomer . I wanted to try to take them at Hershey, but my mentor informed me I am not ready and still need to work on my patterns. I could see where the cocker may be confusing. That one was just an "in general" kind of one. The pattern work would be more for the other pics.

Would you mind being specific on how the Schnauzer ( I think you are talking about the salt & pepper one?) is not "up to code", please? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by blingwithfur View Post
    I love the way you did a nice collage. Some of these are really nice.
    Thank you.
    Henry David Thoreau

Your schnauzer doesn't have a beard it has a rounded half moon barbershop quartet guy profile with the hair running from ear to chin. You should look at pics at the AKC breed standard site for both standard and mini schnauzers. There are variations and different styles but you will see that your profile is nothing like the ones on the site. Have you ever been taught to look for the whisker nodules. Its a good basic starting guideline for Schnauzers. But they are for the most part nice pet grooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Furry View Post
    Thank you for asking. To clarify, it is for my technical exams with ISCC to be a Certified Professional Groomer . I wanted to try to take them at Hershey, but my mentor informed me I am not ready and still need to work on my patterns. I could see where the cocker may be confusing. That one was just an "in general" kind of one. The pattern work would be more for the other pics.

Would you mind being specific on how the Schnauzer ( I think you are talking about the salt & pepper one?) is not "up to code", please? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!
    You are not ready. PLEASE Pm me. I can help you much more in provate than on here. ISCC has a super high bar...
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by lillypeanut View Post
    Your schnauzer doesn't have a beard it has a rounded half-moon barbershop quartet guy profile with the hair running from ear to chin. You should look at pics at the AKC breed standard site for both standard and mini schnauzers. There are variations and different styles but you will see that your profile is nothing like the ones on the site. Have you ever been taught to look for the whisker nodules? Its a good basic starting guideline for Schnauzers. But they are for the most part nice pet grooms.
    Thank You! I am aware of the nodule. Unfortunately, the dog came to me like that for the most part. He was a new client and this was my first time grooming him. I tried correcting as much as I could. I will continue to work on where I am setting my lines though. I have watched videos of Lindsey Dickens grooming a standard on Learn2 Groom & I ALWAYS keep Jodi Murphy's book handy for reference. I'll get there someday, till then thank you for your help!
    Henry David Thoreau

I love your attitude NF and love how helpful this board is. You are gonna succeed with such help. Good for you.

I was taught a trick that worked for me. Over and over again draw them on paper with a market BLINDFOLDED. Helped a great deal after a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by absolutebichon View Post
    I was taught a trick that worked for me. Over and over again draw them on paper with a market BLINDFOLDED. Helped a great deal after a couple weeks.
    Could you elaborate please? I don't quite understand? Draw with a marker on paper the outline of a dog blind folded?
    Henry David Thoreau

Sure. Doesn't it weird but it works, for me and some others. It helps visualize. I forgot though. We were taught to stand up and do it on a greaseboard. Since we stand for grooming a lot that helps. But later I practiced more sitting at a table with paper and pen.

Have your blindfold ready. Determine a pattern like Town & Country. Now with marker in hand, without being blindfolded, draw that pattern. Imagine you are looking down on the dog standing at its rear. So do that a few times until you are happy with it. Next phase you put blindfolds on and try the same thing. It takes a lot of practice but I swear after some practice and more practice I got pretty good, and so did my patterns in real time grooming. I was faster for sure. I saw it done already.

I was told it is like a sculptor seeing a rough block of marble and yet sees the finish product at the same time. Then I find out there are some teachers that have taught children this type of thought and form and some of them draw blindfolded quite amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast