Thread: Dremeling Nails

Default Dremeling Nails

I want to provide a shorter nail trims for my clients but me and my dremel just don"t get along. Is there a resource out there for learning great dremel trims? I have a regular corded dremel and it seems to grab hairs, which I am sure is my own fault. I tend not to use it on smaller dogs, and the bigger dogs have to be done on the floor as I cannot lift them onto my table by myself and they all hate the dremel. I hate leaving sharp nail tips and nails a bit too long because the dog has quick that have grown out, and would love to get much better with the dremel.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Get yourself a guard until you are more comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shantara View Post
    I want to provide a shorter nail trims for my clients but me and my dremel just don"t get along. Is there a resource out there for learning great dremel trims? I have a regular corded dremel and it seems to grab hairs, which I am sure is my own fault. I tend not to use it on smaller dogs, and the bigger dogs have to be done on the floor as I cannot lift them onto my table by myself and they all hate the dremel. I hate leaving sharp nail tips and nails a bit too long because the dog has quick that have grown out, and would love to get much better with the dremel.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
    All I use is the dremel. I have the pet one from Amazon.. it's the 7300?? It has 2 speeds. I buy these dremel bits from Affordable Grooming Shears (www.affordablegroomingshears.com). They come in 2 sizes and in 2 different grits. And they both have wells in the middle to file the nails round. You can buy some crafting dowels and practice. Use pencils. Maybe have someone hold them and be naughty and move around lol??? I do have a larger Dremel I got at Home Depot, but I only use those on big dogs. It's variable speed. Oh and both of mine are cordless.

Just be careful, keep your hair out of the way and tails out of the way as well. I use a carving type motion... does that make sense? So I'm carving as I dremel. I don't just hold it on the nail and got bzzzzzzz. But more of a bzz bzz bzz bzzz as I move around the nail.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Oh I forgot to add one thing.. yes, it kind of is your responsibility to not let it grab hairs. I really pull the hairs back. Also, I have found the holding the foot backwards, much like a farrier would hold a horse hoof, is easier and less stressful.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I also dremel after the bath before drying when the hair is wet. Helps keep it out of the way.

All the above hints PLUS - Get a diamond tip from Jeff at Northern Tails. Works better
    Use a lingerie bag to hold the hair back for. The toes on long haired dogs- the nails poke through the holes and the fur stays away. Perfect for getting at dew claws.
    Pretend you’re using a vegetable,peeler as a motion to shape the nail.

Practice

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    I also dremel after the bath before drying when the hair is wet. Helps keep it out of the way.
    THANKS! Super tip of the month for me!

I'm in love with the Andis Drexel they have been giving out with purchase of their clipper. Powerful!

Yep nothing much to add except I dremel everything now. I keep the old clippers for nails LONG LONG LONG overdue, and that's about it.