Huh Cat Aromatherapy for Cat Sedation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfGE2qPAcE0

I don't groom cats, yet I would like to.

I get scared just seeing the suggestion of giving a prescribed med to a cat as seen this video. But I wondered does anyone have experience where pheromones or aromatherapy actually adequate sedated a cat for gentle grooming?

In my experience, pheromone spray or scents may help a cat who is mildly anxious, though even that depends on the cat, but if a cat is scared or angry, they do not have an effect.
    I have groomed some cats who were sedated. Gabapentin, for example, comes in a capsule thst can be opened and sprinkled over food, as well as a flavored liquid. Very effective for sedation plus anti anxiety. I do not groom cats who are given drugs other than gabapentin, because the poor cats still seem scared and angry even though the drug has made them unable to move quickly. Very sad to watch a cat who is groggy but upset.

Some owners are unable to medicate their cat unless the cat willingly eats the medication. Its not hard to give a cat a liquid medication, but it does take patience. Many people give up right away.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Emma how many cats do you groom on gabapentin? Did you bring it up to the owners, or did they already know about it.?

I suggest it to owners if their cat is clearly scared or angry about grooming. Most seem relieved to hear about the drug, since they thought sedation meant taking a cat to the vet to be completely knocked out. Unfortunately, some owners can't manage to get their cat to eat the gabapentin, even though it comes in a capsule you can open and sprinkle over food, or a flavored liquid. So I have only groomed a few cats on gaba, since those were the ones whose owners succeeded in medicating.
    Also, cat reactions vary. One cat given 100mg was sedated all day. Another cat was only slightly more relaxed. Still, it is better than the other sedatives, because those drugs can result in a sedated yet still very scared or angry cat, which is a very sad thing to witness.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Great info Emma from experience.