Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roll Eyes Enclosing gararge

Our new house we have decided to buy has a 2 car garage and laundry room so lots of water pipes there. We are not in an association and looks like we can convert the garage and run a business. Assuming that is right, has anyone enclosed a garage for grooming? Anything else to consider? Thanks in advance.

I worked in one. Since I didn't do it myself I don't have that many hints. I do know they had neighbors on one side of garage. They filled in the window on that side only with a solid wall. Too much sound gets out of the windows. Put your tubs where the pipes are near the laundry room. Less plumbing the better. Will customers come in a side door like most garages have since the front of the garage is usually a big garage door. You might want a door in front more like a commercial shop. Again side doors are usually close to neighbors.

Even though you have no HOA you have to make sure your city or town allows home businesses with clients coming and going, animal grooming. Many places do not allow home groom shops unless zoned for it. Dont move ahead till you get a legal business license on your location.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have the floor plan guide from the grooming business in a box. They have a conversion plan for a garage.

And of course get permits for the changes to the house. I say this because I know someone that didn't and they had to stop for months. Now one issue is electricity. Remember the needs of your dryers especially and you want to get someone that knows what they are doing. Tell them what you are going to use. Nothing worse than equipment tripping the panel all day.

I was also going to say more. I would do this if I was pretty certain I was going to live in this house a long time. A house without a garage my help with a family with lots of children, but some buyers really want a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by 4them View Post
    I was also going to say more. I would do this if I was pretty certain I was going to live in this house a long time. A house without a garage my help with a family with lots of children, but some buyers really want a garage.
    Excellent point!

I am so glad I posted my question here. Lots of good pointers. I am going to reconsider. I think it could affect my property value as well. Makes sense. I don't want to own a tract home without a garage when you really get down to it. I will likely move from the house in 5 or 10 years. So I am going to drive out another 5 miles or so and see if there are properties not far away but where I have a little more space and perhaps have a side building.

OK kids you are taking me back. When I was a kid we had a 3 bedroom 2 bath house. Mom was divorced with the kids and got married. She had the house but along with the marriage came 2 step sister and there goes the garage into a bedroom for them. As I remember they did sell it for an even larger house later, they did miss the garage. But it did sell.

My friend has a two car garage. She split it down the middle so half she still uses as a garage and the other half is her shop. It could easily be brought back to a two car garage when it needs to be sold.

She has a side entrance to get into the shop.
    She also installed a sliding glass door between the bathing area and the reception/grooming area. That way she can close the slider when blowing out a hairy dog without getting undercoat all over the entire shop.

And, as Tom said, make sure you can have a home business before starting.

Thanks all. I did check and I can have a home business and convert garage. What a day that was with the city and county. I am going to consider it all, but the thought of affecting the resale of the house is a concern. I am driving tomorrow looking at homes with a little more land and insulation from neighbors tomorrow. Very helpful people here.

Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    My friend has a two car garage. She split it down the middle so half she still uses as a garage and the other half is her shop. It could easily be brought back to a two car garage when it needs to be sold.

She has a side entrance to get into the shop.
    She also installed a sliding glass door between the bathing area and the reception/grooming area. That way she can close the slider when blowing out a hairy dog without getting undercoat all over the entire shop.

And, as Tom said, make sure you can have a home business before starting.
    Thank you that might just be perfect. Now weighing in on mobile too. Decisions decisions. Good thing at my house I can have a commercial vehicle in front of the house. No HOA preventing that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast