Not Worthy Ready to go on my own

I have 2 years employed experience full time and more than ready to start my own business. I would have a little clientele that would likely follow one way or another. That's OK I am willing to risk it. I saved up enough for several months without much pay.

Now the confusing the part, is there any kind of test to know which route is better, shop or mobile?

I never had a shop, always been mobile but worked in a shop before I got on the road. As far as mobile, ask yourself do you like to be on your own the entire working day? Do you mind driving and traffic perhaps? Do you enjoy visiting people's homes and having a closer relationship with your customers. Is doing just say 5 to 8 pets right for you (doesn't mean you cannot do more). I ask these questions because as mobilers those things that just don't change. Please post you answers I am curious for you.

I love being HB. But if I wasn't HB, I would go mobile
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I have zero against mobile and know it is perfect. BUT I don't want to plow into anyone's house. I am a terrible driver but never an accident or ticket. Then again, I drive a tiny car. Put me in a van or towing trailer, it's me. Depth of perception issues. That being said I think mobile could be fabulous and personal. I did my years and have some groomers work with me. I grew a business and learned a lot here and from admin's mother author. My body wore out a bit and I cannot imagine retiring staying at home, I love the shop. I learned how to be a good employer and not take poop, and you know what most groomers stay a long time. My customers love the place and the core won't go anywhere else. So I found my place. You are wise to ask. You know someone here I think Tootsipie was able to do ride along with a mobile groomer to how she liked it. Do you think you can find a mobile groomer to do that. Out of the area, so they don't think you would take customers. Could be awesome help.

The pros of mobile:
    1). Do less dogs but earn more money
    2). Know your clients, their family and Fluffy's home environment better
    3). Schedule your own days and hours you want to work
    4). All clients are pre-booked weeks, months, or a year in advance
    5). All dogs on a tight grooming schedule, no severely matted or OAY dogs
    6). You will not have to deal with a landlord, raising rent, or utilities 24/7
    7). Make tips on almost all your grooms

the cons of mobile:
    1). You will need to drive in all sorts of weather and deal with traffic jambs
    2). You will need to live in a home that allows you to fill up your water tanks...usually apartments do not have access to a water faucet
    3). You will need to live in a community that allows you to park a "commercial" vehicle in the driveway or street
    4). You will need to plug in to electricity all night during winter months to prevent freezing
    5). You will need to plug in to electricity all night if you have an inverter system, either with or without a generator system
    6). You will have to have a bigger payout in the beginning (purchasing the van), but once it's paid for, you are "home free"

Happy going mobile

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/20...ore-for-wheels

Here's an article relevant to your question.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    The pros of mobile:
    1). Do less dogs but earn more money
    2). Know your clients, their family and Fluffy's home environment better
    3). Schedule your own days and hours you want to work
    4). All clients are pre-booked weeks, months, or a year in advance
    5). All dogs on a tight grooming schedule, no severely matted or OAY dogs
    6). You will not have to deal with a landlord, raising rent, or utilities 24/7
    7). Make tips on almost all your grooms

the cons of mobile:
    1). You will need to drive in all sorts of weather and deal with traffic jambs
    2). You will need to live in a home that allows you to fill up your water tanks...usually apartments do not have access to a water faucet
    3). You will need to live in a community that allows you to park a "commercial" vehicle in the driveway or street
    4). You will need to plug in to electricity all night during winter months to prevent freezing
    5). You will need to plug in to electricity all night if you have an inverter system, either with or without a generator system
    6). You will have to have a bigger payout in the beginning (purchasing the van), but once it's paid for, you are "home free"

Happy going mobile

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    Great job Dolly.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

So what do you think Time After Time, some great help there. If you go mobile I suggest getting a used one first and hold onto your savings while you build up. Some good ideas around here.

There are more cons to mobile. I have both a shop and multiple vans.

Dolly's list is spot on but there are a few more. I dont like to be a downer but I'm a realist and have experienced more mobile problems than I would ever dream of.

Besides the everyday risks of driving you are hauling around a shop on wheels that if something happens to either the van or salon, you are 100 percent out of work for x amount of time. Things like engine failure, transmission failure, generator breakdown, tire blowout, electrical power issues that you can't address on the road, water pump failure. There are a host of things that you have to maintain and be on top of. You just can't park and go in your house. Lots of care needed to make sure your rig is in top shape.

Another risk is a auto accident. We had 2 over 10 years. 1 accident left our van in the shop 60 days. The other accident our van was a total loss and got a check for less than I could buy another of equal value even though insurance valued the van accordingly. I wound up using the money to put a down on a new van and convert it myself over 2 months. Now I have a payment. The totaled van was paid off. Yes I have employees and not personally involved in the accidents I must admit.

Overhead is not cheap either. Commercial van insurance can cost 4000 year on a new van, fuel 100 bucks a week or more, maintenance costs are high. Set of tires and brakes couple thousand.

My shop on the other hand has no such drama. Yes, the commercial rents are high. I just unlock the door turn on lights and work. It's less stress than mobile. I can concentrate on making money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I own my own salon about 20 minutes from my home. I rent in a commercial office building approximately 650 sq ft. My former bosses (previous before grooming) own the building so I do get a break on my rent. I pay my own utilities. I groom anywhere from 5-7 dogs a day, (5 dogs is my perfect day) 4-5 days a week. I usually take Fridays off especially in summer. I love my little place and happy with the set-up I chose.

If I weren't Home-based I would be mobile......Pros to Home shop. No traffic or commute...control your hours....very low overhead.....tax deductions on shop/office portion of your home, electric, internet, etc.

Cons....people coming to your home(privacy) this is not an issue for me at all because of how I manage my customers.

customers taking advantage because "your home" after all. Again your management from the start can control this

I work 4 days a week and do from 5 to 8 dogs a day. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    There are more cons to mobile. I have both a shop and multiple vans.

Dolly's list is spot on but there are a few more. I dont like to be a downer but I'm a realist and have experienced more mobile problems than I would ever dream of.

Besides the everyday risks of driving you are hauling around a shop on wheels that if something happens to either the van or salon, you are 100 percent out of work for x amount of time. Things like engine failure, transmission failure, generator breakdown, tire blowout, electrical power issues that you can't address on the road, water pump failure. There are a host of things that you have to maintain and be on top of. You just can't park and go in your house. Lots of care needed to make sure your rig is in top shape.

Another risk is a auto accident. We had 2 over 10 years. 1 accident left our van in the shop 60 days. The other accident our van was a total loss and got a check for less than I could buy another of equal value even though insurance valued the van accordingly. I wound up using the money to put a down on a new van and convert it myself over 2 months. Now I have a payment. The totaled van was paid off. Yes I have employees and not personally involved in the accidents I must admit.

Overhead is not cheap either. Commercial van insurance can cost 4000 year on a new van, fuel 100 bucks a week or more, maintenance costs are high. Set of tires and brakes couple thousand.

My shop on the other hand has no such drama. Yes, the commercial rents are high. I just unlock the door turn on lights and work. It's less stress than mobile. I can concentrate on making money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Tom you made me think of a situation shared to me by a mobile groomer friend. She drives a trailer. I asked her wouldn't you want one of those nice vans. She said sure, but no. Really, no. She said like you said, if the van goes out of service and she doesn't have a backup car, she wouldn't work. If something happened to her trailer she could still show up and ask to do housecall like in their house until the trailer is running again. And of course lots less things to take a trailer off the road.