Thread: F.L.E.A.S.

Default F.L.E.A.S.

Hey everyone! Been a while since I've been on here. Was wondering what you all tell customers when their dog is infested with fleas. Extra cost? I had to leave the job and groom at another house that I know doesn't have a flea problem. They seemed totally oblivious. I've never in 16 years mobile seen anything like it.
    Thanks!

I had a dog once that I could see fleas jumping off it like a cloud. I didn't want to take that dog into my van. I had them treat the dog first and rescheduled. They had gone to the vet for help. So no extra charge. There is not really much more time spent if they have fleas, and I include a flea shampoo in what I stock.

i had a client once and it was extremely unlikely ( or so I thought) that their dog would have fleas, fussy, well maintained, immaculate home. And I thought the same thing, how do I tell this guy. delicately, that his precious Rover has fleas. We were chatting at the end of the groom and he mentioned that Rover goes to doggie daycare, and I saw my opportunity, I said "oh, I thought I saw a flea on Rover, he must have picked it up at his Daycare"

Well I am not shy to inform them of fleas. In fact, it is really important to them. I have seen that truly infested dog and the weather was fine so the first flea bath was out on the concrete patio, before the dog went into the van for finish. They understood the reasoning and I checked the dog out the next time and it was on Advantage or something by then.

Found a few fleas on a great pyrenees a couple of weeks ago. They were dead when I found them during the bath. Credit the topical owners applied? My shampoo? No idea, but discussed with owners. Fast forward to yesterday and their other pyr, decided to put her straight in tub and bathe with Quadrupeds. Good call, more dead fleas. Owners ask if I found fleas. Then they start telling me that they discovered their "cat basement" is infested with fleas, but the dogs never go down there. Oh my.

We have a "NO FLEAS" policy at my job. Being that we are a boarding facility we can not risk other guests catching them. If we find fleas they are immediately administered a Capstar and the owner is informed. We also offer preventatives that the owners are encouraged to purchase as well to prevent reinfestation. If they come back again with fleas then they are told that they must administer a Capstar on their own before coming to grooming. We have flea shampoo, but we do not offer flea baths.

IMO with all the stuff out there for flea prevention, I'm surprised so many people have issues with fleas still.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau