Default How do y'all groom the big dogs?

I am not super old nor am I young.
    I have been grooming for 12 years.
    Anymore, it is just too hard to groom the Biggies on the ground.
    I use the table and have had a Big Table, but some dogs are just too large.
    I remember back in grooming school, our instructors husband made a big, wooden platform, with poles on each corner to secure the dogs.
    We could sit on that and groom comfortably. It was Great
    Anyone use anything like this?

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

That platform sounds like a great idea. Some manufacturer should make something like that!

I don't do big dogs, and have done them sparingly in my 40+ years grooming. I do do my SIL's retriever mix now that my bro has passed away. Max was never groomed professionally in his 10 years, so he's a bit of a challenge. I have a bolt on the outside of my tub that I can tie him to, then, I sit on a low chair to do most of the groom. Getting him into the tub is a challenge, but I do his feet in there. Love that platform idea!
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

If I remember correctly in her shop Parti has one of those human shower fiberglas type inserts. You can get one of those and install at a height you like. No need to lift the big dogs into tubs. You can wash and dry, so it is sort of a deluxe platform you are talking about. Later I opened a shop and have bathers doing the bath and dry, nails and ears. If it needs just a furminate I have a bather well qualified. So if it is a groom I have a grooming table electric that goes really low for big dogs. They can walk on or off easily when low and safely.

yes 123 is right, somewhere at Parti's blog she showed that shower insert. Good idea.

My table goes pretty low and goes fairly high. It was really important when I bought my table that I be able to do my own old dogs. I will have Labs until I'm put someplace that doesn't allow big dogs lol.

And I can adjust it, so I can sit on it and do nails.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I am 59 and I do lots of big dogs......I have an electric lift table to raise them to the tub and they simply step in. I dry them on the lift table and then roll them over to my large grooming table where they can step off while I sit for part of groom and stand for part of groom depending on which area of the body I'm working on. Most of my big dogs are bath and deshedds and require no haircut except maybe pads I have a 200 lb English Mastiff that comes for a bath once a month. I started bathing him as a pup and he is an angel to work with...voice commanded and sweet as sugar! As a side note I will bathe/groom only large dogs who are sweet and easy to handle......I am NOT going to wrestle them to groom them.....if they don't cooperate I don't put myself at risk for injury.

Boy do I wish I had that big wooden platform you mentioned, tammyv1994. I have a very small shop, so no room, but cannot resist doing the big guys. So far everyone fit into my tub, but some are just too big for my table-which easily holds a well bred Newf. But when you get into the larger than breed standard beasts it means working on the floor, and that hurts, I am 58 with a dickey back and a knee replacement that has left me with no more than a 90 degree bend. Grooming on the floor is truly not fun and hurts for a day or two. Thankfully my daughter helps me with the ones who are just too big for my table, Gosh-Saturday I had an Irish wolfhound in for nails, and he would have preferred I didn't do them. Politely, but still, just difficult when you are on the floor. Wow was he big!

I have 2 electric table and I have my dry table back beside tub and against wall ( use wall hook to restrain) so dogs just walk on table and walk in tub.
    My front table is one I sell the LED. It is huge. Here's my leonburger client on it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's a nice setup Itza too.

I finally got an electric tub, what a wonderful treat and back saver if you are going to groom them. I went mobile to shop at my age, and this was a joy. To get my mobile business going I had to do my share of big dogs. Good setup Itza.