Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    It's something I've been thinking about for a while now. I was told by a wise woman that I probably was not cut out for social media. I think she meant well, and at first it kind of irritated me, then I realized she was right. I'll have withdrawals I'm sure. But I feel strangely liberated as well.

It just wasn't a good experience for me. Not that I have to live my life with good experiences, but when you start to avoid it.. and my kids are getting off as well.

I don't want to see any more abused dogs or cats, what you ate for dinner... what color you true animal spirit is, nor do I care if the dress is red, green, or worn by a Martian lol.

Freedom!!!!!
    I did a year ago, very happy too.

I like facebook. I have a few poodle groups for education purposes, or sharing things with people that would understand. Grooming groups for education and sometimes entertainment.
    I have friends that I don't know, but are poodle people that have mutual friends with me. I enjoy seeing show pictures or pictures of nice poodles in great grooms. I also enjoy being able to give helpful advice.
    Seeing what family that doesn't live close by are up to. Sometimes I use it to see what people I don't like are up to haha.
    I chat all the time through FB messenger.
    I also see if handling classes are running that week or not. Ask questions to people that i'm not close enough to to have ever gotten their phone numbers (usually dog groom/show/performance questions)

Ya there is some stuff that's annoying. Those friends that make their facebook page a sales page for their pyramid scheme products (but sometimes post interesting posts that I want to see so I don't want to unfollow them), click bait stuff, etc.
    I've unfriended people who's posts always drive me crazy. I dunno. I don't feel I'll stop using it in the near future.

Funny, but I just decided to stop Facebook. What was the final reason? In the "people you may know" area, day after day I was shown photos of men who, as far as I could tell, were in Afghanistan or Pakistan? Three photos showed men with beards posing with large guns, I kid you not. I kept deleting them, and the next day there would be more tribal fighters standing in fields with big guns, beards and serious expressions. Creeped me out! All I can think of is that for a while i followed a grooming salon in singapore where some employees were muslim. Anyway, i figure that there is something drastically wrong with FB if this is the best they can do.

Interesting thread and definitely some strange reactions to social media use...but to each their own. Personally I love FB, its an amazing tool when used properly and a resource that is almost as valuable as Google.

Meh for me really. Too much nothing to filter through, but I do enjoy a few groups. No wonder teens fading away from it. My daughter and her friends tease me about still using it, you know kids.

I don't think those are strange reactions, they are honest reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedoodlepoodle View Post
    I just have one of my employees maintain our business page, that's it. I take great offense to a company that collects everything they can about you, and sells it or "by accident" gives it away to dozens of companies to study you. If my info is worth money, why don't I get a share of the money? And then when you called out by Congress, FB sends the head of the company to Congress and before him sits our representatives whom we pay for, but he has given big donations to their campaigns so he gets off entirely with lies. Why do Americans support this I don't know?

So I don't go there much as you can see. I socialize here and some other boards on gardening as well, and dog rescues.
    ^^THIS< THIS < THIS!!^^^ All those games you see, What's your Disney character?, Whose your animal spirit?, blah, blah blah, it's all just them gathering info. And what blows my mind is people just readily hand it over! I took down my Facebook years ago. Best thing I ever did. Everyone and everything is so dependent on it though I miss out on things from not having one. Never knew my cousin had a going away party when he enlisted in the Army because I didn't have Facebook to get the invite. God forbid anyone in the family actually call me. Business has special offers that you can only get through Facebook. When I say I do not have a Facebook account they basically say then you don't get the offer.

Has anyone seen the episode of Black Mirror where you have access to certain life amenities based on your likes and reviews? The higher the score you can rent cars, get nice apartments, etc. The lower your score you are basically excised from society. THAT IS WHAT FACEBOOK IS CONDITIONING YOU FOR!!!! They are already doing it in China.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/a...x-and-sinister
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

I hear ya sort of NF, my grandson talks all the time about how the artificial intelligence people test us with games and suggestive advertising. He even did a project on it at university, this is no joke. The more they learn about us, the more they know how to program A I to act like us. At least that is what he says.

Well don't break up here LOl Daesue I like your posts. You always have an interesting different bent on things, or experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedoodlepoodle View Post
    Well don't break up here LOl Daesue I like your posts. You always have an interesting different bent on things, or experiences.
    Hahahhaa, thanks Yankee... I'm jonesing bad though. So.. I reactivated it, then deactivated it. It was going to be permanently deleted, then I got cold feet so just deactivated it hahahahahhaa. That's just in case my skin gets thick again hahahahhaa.

There was another reason, my dog Petey, the one who died on Christmas Day, FB kept doing "oh remember this" and it just broke my heart again and you know what? You can delete those photos.. you go right ahead but FB still reminds you and you're like "I thought I deleted that photo." Oh no.. no FB has it. AND if you unfollow someone, it goes both ways.. you no longer see their posts either. So, you not seeing someone's posts? Yeah, they've unfollowed you lol. I like this because it's moderated.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2