Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Onan generator problem

I have an Onan Generator 7000 in the WagnTails Ultra Groom. It has only 1400 hours on it but I have had nothing but problems with it. What it is doing now is shutting down 10 min after we turn the dryer on, even with The Airconditioning off. Mechanic said to replace the fuel pump, so we did that. Stopped working again. Now they want to replace the ignition coils and that will take 3 days and cost $3300. This is at a Cummins service center. My concern besides the cost is they donít seem confident that this is even the problem. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Probably the mother circuit board. Gen runs fine till it gets hot then shuts down. It's a 500 dollar part but minutes to install. That's my best guess. Happened to my 2 wagn tails vans almost simultaneously after couple thousand hours and in summertime

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Also your warranty is up to 2000 hours unless its past the time limit.

I would not pay 3300. No way. A new generator is like 4500 bucks. Both my onans went 8000+ hours over 6 years. Had some repairs but nothing major. Had fuel pumps, mother boards, fan belt, and carb replacement. I took care of them with dedicated oil changes and air and plug replacement regularly. Biggest issue was mother board going out. I'm in the desert and they took abuse with 110 plus days for months on end.

I also had problems......Cummins tried to fix it on 3 different times.....my brother, suggested I get the mother board changed....went back to Cummins and asked to replace the mother board......they chuckled but did it....and as a "joke" they boxed the old mother board and gave it to me as a "backup"..........that was over 3 years ago and I've never had a problem since then. I've kept that old mother board, in the box, just to remind myself how those guys chuckled at the stupid groomer's suggestion.

Happy changing the mother board

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Awesome, you guys are very valuable. I couldn't imagine spending the $3300.

Quote Originally Posted by jill View Post
    I have an Onan Generator 7000 in the WagnTails Ultra Groom. It has only 1400 hours on it but I have had nothing but problems with it. What it is doing now is shutting down 10 min after we turn the dryer on, even with The Airconditioning off. Mechanic said to replace the fuel pump, so we did that. Stopped working again. Now they want to replace the ignition coils and that will take 3 days and cost $3300. This is at a Cummins service center. My concern besides the cost is they donít seem confident that this is even the problem. Anyone else have a similar problem?
    I am having very similar problems - and this morning I came across this video. Very strange but it seems worth a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh0XIO6ClNk

The problem as the video states is that the dipstick is faulty and that the generator has too much oil. Has anyone encountered this?

I dont know if I agree with this. These gens only hold so much oil and keeping it at the proper level on the dipstick is vital. You really can't overfill it cause the oil will spill out of the fill hole. I always kept mine full and got over 8000 hours from my units.

I am a bit skeptical too Tom.

I am in full agreement that the "fix" sounds dubious.

I will say this tho, I drained out a fair amount of oil and it semi-fixed the problem. So rather than the generator shutting off as soon as I turn on the ac, the genie kept running for 20 mins or so. It is acting as if it's overheating - on hot days the genie began shutting off even when the ac wasn't on.

Alas, it's too nerve wracking not knowing if I'm gonna have power or not - off to the garage.

Sorry, one more thing. What convinced me to try this "fix" was all the comments posted by folks who tried removing oil and had success. Lots and lots of people said they had spent mucho money on repairs that didn't work but this less oil remedy did the trick.

We tried removing some of the oil that the utube video suggested and we were so excited because it actually worked for a several hours, but then it stopped! I guess I wonít be canceling my appointment with Cummins.

I had the very same experience. And that's why I am enjoying a few days off (again) the generator is in the shop. Ughhh!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast