Grinning Cat Starting a mobile cat business

Do you think it would take much longer to get a mobile cat business going well compared to a dog or mostly dog mobile business?

I think it depends on the area and your ideal clientele, but overall I would say yes. It will most likely take longer to fill a cat-only mobile grooming business compared to dog-only. Cat owners can be a bit trickier to advertise to directly and there aren't nearly as many cat owners seeking out groomers for regular visits compared to dog owners. However, I do feel it is a viable business that will just take time and educating clients to get on regular schedules (compared to a OAY matted mess groom).

If you want to focus on cats, I feel a cat clientele will grow and be more robust in a cat-only business compared to a cat/dog business. I do know plenty of groomers who do both, and are able to fill a need in the households that have both dogs and cats though.

Someone here put of so cal runs cat mobile. Think its bengalcatguy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

About 45% of my clients are cats. I like grooming dogs too, so I doubt I would ever be cat exclusive.

Iím really not accepting new clients at the moment, but when I do, itís usually a cat.

Scott

Plus a lot of the Vets and other groomers that do not do cats in my area refer to me. Currently I have a waitinglist of about a dozen new cats that want in.

Scott

Contact all of the mobile and salon groomers and let them know that you are going " cat exclusive". I know that most groomers would much rather be grooming a dog vs a cat......dog's listen, cats could care less, dogs let you know when they are about to strike....cat's don't, etc. Also contact your nearest Persian rescue and give them some business cards to pass to their clients.

Gabi Kat Grooming, cat exclusive in AZ, attended to CFMG when I did and she is doing fabulous..... Check out her FB website and get some ideas on how other groomers advertise themselves. It probably wouldn't hurt to call some cat groomers to "get the feel" of the job, plus tools and shampoos they use. Good Luck !!

https://www.facebook.com/gabikatgrooming/

Happy becoming a Certified Feline Master Groomer

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC
    3-69-89 (3rd groomer in OH, 69th in the US, and 89th in the world to obtain certification of CFMG)

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

thank you!! This is great info and ideas, you guys are great.

Absolutely, bengal is close to it. Remember the show with admin here when all the callers were cat only business people. Dating myself but that inspired a local cat breeder in Houston area to start a cat only grooming businesses both at a spa and mobile. She does pawsitively incredible business..

We almost put in a separate cattery grooming dept but I really like referring them to a cat only groomer. So we do some pet owners with cats and dogs both, but I support cat groomers.

I found out we have one operating 2 days a week in our area. She serves another area about 30 miles away other days of the week. I think it is Kool Kat!

I pretty much turn away cats all the time. If you can make connections with mobile dog groomers who don't do cats, wow that would sure help.