Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by deohji View Post
    I appreciate the best wishes thank you. I agree with you on most of your points but they did come across rather harshly because as I stated at the beginning I have no experience with this. I am asking for suggestions not lectures. I am more than willing to go meet the shop owner or groomer and give them my resume but I would rather call first and see what would the best time be to do that do I'm not walking in on them while they are super busy and then they get mad and brush me off because they dont have time to talk to me. Everybody I called was very nice and helpful.
    That's not really a lecture. Anything can be read one way or another. Once you see other posts by the same person you realize they are not hostile or lectures.

Thank you Whitedog

Exactly I didn't take it that way either.

So. After reading this exchange, I decided to drop in to the 2 grooming shops within 5 minutes from my home. I got good vibes from both. Both appeared interested in speaking to me further, I was careful to give them the bullet points, rather than the long version of my abstract of skills.

The one place I called, did not go quite as well.

I called one place just before I visited these 2 shops. Though the man was very nice, he was kind of dismissive. I realized right then, I'd have to go in and talk to people face to face.

I also learned from that shop, that apparently my choice of school is...ahem...questionable. This persosn suggested I maybe should go apply at Petco. The position I was inquiring about was 'bather/fluffer' which this person seemed to think was out of my league.

In contrast, the shops I visited, Instead of leading with my grooming school, I began with my skills; bathing, fluffing, sanitary trims, nails, grinding & clipping, anal glands, 25+ years of Veterinary experience etc. and asked if they might have an entry level, part time position for someone like myself. I suppose it helped that they were able to see me, I was presentable, dressed casual sporty, neat & but not overly polished.

Both shops were immediately interested and took my contact information to follow up at a later date. Now I didn't get a job YET, but I was much better received and taken seriously when I was face to face with business owner. The shops I visited personally, listened with genuine interest and asked questions, whereas the one I called did not give off the same vibe.

The person on the other end of the line, let me know I was out of my league to apply for a bathing/fluffing position.

Moral of the story....get your hustle on. Get dressed, go to the shop and get at it. If it means anything to anyone, I went at about 11:30am, was not wishy washy, but matter of fact & friendly....and I had a plan... if they gave me the brush off like the shop I phoned in to, I would've just kept it moving and hit up the next shop, asking for an entry level part time position, with my head held high.

Good luck =D

Update: I got hired at the shop where I met happened to meet with the groomer =)

Much like the beginning of the thread, she was busy when I walked in, but took a couple of minutes to hear what I had to say. She requested I send her my info via text, then had me in to the shop for a try out.

I went, bathed, fluffed etc. and happily, she offered me the position I requested and will be teaching me in addition to my studies at BOCES.

I'm really glad I found this thread and it was most helpful to me in understanding the mindset and ultimately, how to get my foot in the door.

Thank you to all who replied to the original poster and to the OP, I hope you update your thread and let us know how you got on.

Congratulations hookilau!
    Obviously the advice given in here was spot on.
    So how about it deohji? Have you given this some more thought?

Excellent advice hookilau.

@ Poodlefeet & Coldnose....advice in this thread was dead on. It's soooo simple, it seems off, but I promise, if you're looking to get your foot in the door, go there, talk, be capable, confident and plan to fish where the fish are.

If you're still looking for a job:
    My strategy was to start as close to my home as possible and work my way outwards. Grooming shops really are busy and don't have time for hand holding, so don't take it personally. You want something from them, they want something from you. No one is doing anyone any favors here, so don't be overbearing, but don't be mousey either.
    If you have a resume, great, bring that and expect to maybe briefly state your skills and leave resume with contact information.

If you don't feel confident enough to walk in there and put on an apron and just get at it, then fake it till you make it dear. Your confidence will come naturally in time. Meantime, listen much more than you speak, you'll learn a TON =D

Meanwhile, back at school...the biggest drawback to BOCES is the fact that you have to keep FINDING dogs to bring in to work on =P
    That was what made me feel as though if I didn't get a job while in school, it might take longer for me to connect the dots & that if I really wanted to learn, I needed to have the experience of working in a shop and directly under a groomer.

I was talking with a younger girl, I dunno, maybe 22, 23? She is having difficulty getting dogs to practice on too, and had not yet gotten a job in a shop. I told her what I did and referred to this thread and the advice that helped me. No magic to it, the magic is in the 'doing'.

Identify your goal and work towards it. Mine was to add to my pool of instructors and maybe get paid in the bargain.

Good luck OP & would love to hear how you got on =D

There's gold to be mined here =) get at it!!

You were wise Hook! In this trade in competitive shops so much stuff. Network network network. Interesting about BOCES having to find pets, see that is the price of a great grooming school. Dogs are there all kinds of them. Even home study you have to find the dogs. The beginning is the hardest time, a roller coaster even, don't give up. There are always some less than great jobs to get hired that might even take advantage to, don't get used to that. Keep on with the keeping on.

I can see why but didn't realize BOCES required finding dogs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2