Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mad Dog kills another dog at groomer

One thing I was taught with something like zero tolerance was NEVER to let dogs of different families commingle. Even for a second and no matter how friendly they seemed. And you know some younger workers starting as bathers only sort of listened and did anyway thinking we were absurd. They were firmly reminded. You don't take chances with other people's pets.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/lo...ers/726693002/

I had a client with a American Akita, that had major aggression towards others dogs. We tried bringing him in during general hours and it was chaos ! Either book high risk breeds during an hour with no clients or find another way. Not worth it in my opinion.

Very sad
    Just last week I had a lady take her dog back home because I refuse to allow dogs to socialize. She informed me her dog was NEVER caged or crated. I told her that was just an accident waiting to happen and wished her well in finding a facility that would cater to her needs.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

ClassyGroom. But the problem wasnít that the dog was aggressive, it was that the groomer placed the Chihuahua in with the large dog. The large dog may have never shown aggressive tendencies. Still absolutely no reason to put dogs of different families together. Absolutely NO reason! No matter how friendly they are.

I donít even crate family dogs together. I will crate them side-by-side but never in the same crate. I explain to my clients this way, ďI love my brother but I donít want to be THAT close to him for that longĒ. They will usually laugh and nod at the imagined scenario.
    Of course the other reason is if one dog has an accident I donít want them both walking or sitting in it.

I knew someone that would toss cats from different families into the same cage dryer together. YIKES!

Anyway. I TOTALLY agree with Stephen. Never put dogs together. Grooming shops are seldom set up for daycare type situations. If you want daycare also then have daycare as a separate entity with dedicated employees for just that side of the business.

I know a place that is off leash which they us as another term for cage free. I know cage free isn't supposed to mean off leash, but they are out there. A dog let loose to run to his area in a cage free place did exactly this to a dog in its cage free space, killed it. So sad, I would never leave my dog in a cage free place.

I've had dogs from the same family go after each other, so in most cases even they get separated until they are picked up.

Iím even leary about boarding my dogs that have Ďplaytimeí. Iím old fashioned that way. I have no problem if my dog is in an old fashion kennel run for the duration of my vacation. I donít care if my dog isnít Ďhaving funí. I want them fed and ALIVE when I pick them up.
    However, itís really difficult to find a kennel like that now-a-days. They all want to turn them out to play.
    I did find a kennel that has an employee with the play groups at all times. Iíve driven in unannounced multiple times and there is Always someone with the dogs...even in the pouring rain. Makes me feel a little safer but not by much. Stuff can still happen in a blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    Iím even leary about boarding my dogs that have Ďplaytimeí. Iím old fashioned that way. I have no problem if my dog is in an old fashion kennel run for the duration of my vacation. I donít care if my dog isnít Ďhaving funí. I want them fed and ALIVE when I pick them up.
    However, itís really difficult to find a kennel like that now-a-days. They all want to turn them out to play.
    I did find a kennel that has an employee with the play groups at all times. Iíve driven in unannounced multiple times and there is Always someone with the dogs...even in the pouring rain. Makes me feel a little safer but not by much. Stuff can still happen in a blink of an eye.
    I would be a bi##! About it. No way. I have dealt with the loss of a dog from other dogs. No way would I feel safe.

This was neglect or ignorance one or the other. Simply ridiculous.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. ĖMark Twain

This is one of the reasons I split up with my former partner!!!!! She insisted on everyone running loose and playing. Even let the little neighbor girl's Pit Bull in the shop to "play". I told her this was a tragedy waiting to happen and a huge liability.....her words " Well, I don't live my life worrying about liability". My words "Goodbye"!

So Cockerlvr. Whatís the solution? Iím always uncomfortable about leaving them but sometimes I need to.

In my area there are no more old fashioned kennel runs where the dog can be contained in one section while the run is cleaned and hosed down. All the kennels are inside buildings in which the runs and bedding area are in the same unit. You have to take the dog out of the run in order to hose down the area.

So the normal procedure seems to be to put all the dogs into a common area to play while the kennel area is being cleaned. When I have come unannounced to those kennels there isnít an employee watching the play group. The employee is hosing down runs.

I get the feeling that if I would insist that my dogs donít interact with others they would toss them in with the others regardless. ďWhat she doesnít know wonít hurt herĒ.

At least the kennel I do use always has supervision and they have multiple areas for dogs to play according to size and temperament. They also have a small outdoor enclosure for dogs that just need to be alone. So I feel safer with that situation.

I live in the boonies and donít have access to someone coming to my house to care for them. Besides Iíd feel even more uneasy with that situation. Dogs can be slippery and can escape. I have Sighthounds and Terriers. They arenít going to ďcome when calledĒ especially by a stranger.

A bit of the ďhave someone watch themĒ has childhood background. Went on family vacation when I was 10. Mom had my friend take care of our dogs. They showed dogs too so where familiar with our dogs. Well, my dog got away and got hit by a car. He was fine but was at the vet when we got home. That has never left me. Thus the ďI just want them Alive when I get homeĒ. Plus, how horrible for my friend. She had that hanging over her head until we returned from vacation. I just donít want to put others in that position again.

So I donít know what the solution is. I do the best I can. I drive way out of my way to use this kennel so Iím not trying to just get one close by. Nothing is Ďclose byí to where I live! Grin!

I just donít know. If I had endured the loss of a dog like you have...well, I just donít know.

I do know that the group play situation is driven by the uninformed public that ďdoesnít want their dog in a cageĒ. We, as professionals, need to re-educate the public and not give in to their sad doe eyes.

Thanks for listening.

I just can't imagine the horror of taking your dog for a grooming session and getting it back dead...
    I know many grooming salons tout "cage free" grooming, but do they have a dedicated employee to monitor the dogs at all times? Not a groomer, who has to groom, not a bather, not a receptionist, who have other duties, but the person dedicated solely to 100% observing dogs? Maybe then it can work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have dealt with plenty of customers, well that weren't, because we have cages, clean, roomy, great quality. They are just so misinformed, they are like talking about themselves and not their dogs. For minutes, or an hour, no dog suffers from being kept safe. Their empathy is misinformed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast