Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile What do retired groomers do?

I am musing today, feeling sorta strange not in a bad way. But I think I only have 3 to 5 years left in grooming at most. I do have some kids and grandkids so they will be a part of my life. But retirement from coming is makes me feel both up and down as I think it is healthy to have something to do. I am not going to retire to the TV. What do other groomers see retirement like?

When I retire somehow I will work with animals or pets. I would love to have a small sanctuary on just a few acres.

I'm sure one day I'll sell my shop and "retire" from relying n a full time income, but I can't imagine never grooming a dog again. I'm sure I'll always groom a few here and there.

I will be in my garden, on my horse and fishing with my husband. I can't wait!

I know retirement for me will be grooming a handful of dogs a week. Until I absolutely can't do it anymore. There is no way I will be able to sit around and do nothing as long as I'm physically capable of doing stuff.

I hope I still have an ability to do decent grooming work when itís time to retire. I may close or sell my business but I would like to stay in grooming if possible. I cannot imagine myself just staying home all days. I quit playing golf when I became groomer. I was a pretty good player for a long time so I want to get out on the course again when retiring from full time grooming job!

Oh, Iím so glad to hear that Iím not the only one that wants the work during retirement.
    My husband wants to retire in 2-3 years. Iím scared! I keep telling him he needs to continue working there as he will NEVER get medical insurance like he has there. (He works for the State)

I do see myself still working but not as hard. Whether that is grooming, or working as a receptionist in a vets office or being a Wal-Mart greeter I know for my mental health that I need to get up and be somewhere or I become the ďold lady in the bathrobeĒ. Not good.

I will carve out time to spend traveling with my husband. We have a Scamp trailer and like to go camping. We will have time to visit the National Parks. And finally time to work in my garden. And maybe get a dog ready to show again.
    It will be a life change, thatís for sure.

I want a tiny shop within my property or home. Not for business, but doing my dogs, and occasionally a friend. We won't deal with HOA restrictions, so no worry there. If I had enough property I would like a place where some friends and dog lovers could do an agility field. I provide the land and space and enjoy. Hold a little outdoor benefit or ? Still active.

I was forced into retirement (and selling our business) about a month ago do to my husbands illness - I'm almost 66. I do have my own 10 dogs to take care, so it's not like I'm not busy with them, but I miss the interaction with other dogs and their owners. As soon as we get some of the major work done on the sadly neglected home we bought, I hope to find something part-time. Do you think another place will hire me? I'm thinking only one or two days/week. I won't work out of our home - not allowed by the town. After speaking to the town government, I was pleasantly surprised that I could legally have my dogs without a fight from the county.

Good to hear from you, Petekids! I, too, was forced to 'retire' when I sold my commercial shop in 2001. While waiting for my house to sell so I could move back to the home I grew up in, I had a lot of time to decide what I was going to do. It always came back to grooming. When I moved home in Dec., I looked at several possibilities for a space to rent. I decided instead to have an addition built on to my home. My home shop was a great success, and the best decision I could've made.

Fast forward to 2015. I was diagnosed with stage 4 heart failure due to a leaky valve, and spent 4 nights in the hospital. I sent my clients to other shops. With a slug of meds, I got some strength back, and after a month started grooming a couple of my best clients. Gradually, I increased the numbers to 12, plus my own dog. I groom a couple days a week-one dog in the afternoon when the medicine effects have waned. I feel my best when I'm grooming-like I did some 40 years ago (I'll be 67). Almost like nothing has changed and time has stood still. So, for me, as long as I draw breath, I'll never fully retire. I love the creativity, the dogs, and the people who love them. You 'retire' from a 'job'. Grooming is a passion. I don't think you ever get away from that.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I hope they sit around here with their coffee or spirited drink and share the life and wisdom. The life and wisdom of retired groomers. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    So, for me, as long as I draw breath, I'll never fully retire. I love the creativity, the dogs, and the people who love them. You 'retire' from a 'job'. Grooming is a passion. I don't think you ever get away from that.
    Karla, this was REALLY, so good to read! I'm saddened to hear of your condition, but those words are so heartfelt. Many of the sentiments on this thread are. I'm not that close to retirement, but not far enough away to not think of it. SOOOO many people in this field don't feel this way, and dogs are just a money-making vehicle to them....it's good to hear that there are others out there that feel as I do, that love their pet clients, and will continue to groom as long as they are able.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast